April 28, 2024, 07:34:44 AM

News:

evo in iron head

Started by fergy1940, April 14, 2012, 10:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergy1940

hello This is for a friend of mine. Will a evo xl motor fit in the 1984-85 frame any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Fergy
I'm bored.

Lew

From what I understand, the newer motors are longer and won't fit in the ironhead frames.
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

xlfan

Your friend might be in luck, but measurements are required.

I seem to remember that Iron heads and EVO xl's shared the same frame in the years of 82 to 89.

If your demand is 100% fitment as in bolt-in, my answer would be, no, it won't fit  :teeth:

xlfan

andyxlh

Yes I think XL fan might be correct. I don't have my part book with me, but find out from the dealer the part number for a 86-89 sportster (the ones with the Evo engine). if it is the same as the 84-85 then it should work as the frame will be the same. the mounting brackets probably are not tho' so you would need those. If the frame part number for the exo bike ends with an -82 then it was introduced in that year and it should be the same. So that means any rigid mount evo (86-2003) should be made to fit, especially if you have a bit of engineering know-how!
sell the bike and buy a cheap evo complete if you don't...
BTW i'd go for a '91-up engine as they generally have less problems and are 4-speed.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble