May 09, 2024, 08:14:59 AM

News:

1 last question on lowering front end

Started by messed up, April 15, 2012, 06:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

messed up

after this I'll put it to bed, promise. whats the opinion on throwing in "drop in" kit for 1" on front, backs already done, or just raising tubes 3/4" in the trees. Which way should I go? Wifes still a little short.  :nix:

andyxlh

April 16, 2012, 12:13:37 AM #1 Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:17:09 AM by andyxlh
Id try to drop thro the trees first, hey that's free! Then u can put the lowering kit in when the seals go.
Just dive that front end a few times whilst holding the front brake before you do it, pressing down on the bars, to have a look for clearance issues. Get someone to eyeball the bike from the side whilst u do it.
Have the mrs sit on the bike with no seat - this will give you a good idea of what u can achieve with a thin seat. Not all thin seats are uncomfy, try the Corbin Hollywood which is thin and good looking! Some of those stock seats are several inches thick and you might get the lowering you need this way and make it more comfy too.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

turboprop

That 1" drop in kit comes with a cost of 1" reduced fork travel.  Better to either slip the tubes in the trees or replace run shorter fork tubes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

messed up

Thanks, I"ll save some money and slip the tubes up as soon as I get home from out of town. Lowered my softail about one and a quarter inches years ago and I like the handling better even though the rides been a little rough in the rear.