April 27, 2024, 12:12:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

sprocket cover 65 XLH

Started by cajun1957a, January 25, 2009, 06:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

Does anyone have an aluminum sprocket cover for a 1965 XLH?  Mine broke in half.  Don't ask.  Im in Ontario Canada. 
randy

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Pynzo

Vtwin sold a reproduction kit with that style cover. It cost three times as much as the smooth cover and still needed a hole drilled for the return spring.

fulldress79

If it were mine I'd have it heli-arched.

Pynzo

That's your best bet- this style is not reproduced well- if you go for the weld option have it beefed up at the same time

cajun1957a

The only problem with that is that the weld could never be finished smooth enough even with some serious metalfininshing technicques so that it is not seen.  I dont mind spending some dollars for appearance.  The cover broke in half completely.  I worked as a metal finisher for years and there is only so much i could do as well.  I have a nice techique for pollishing and refinishing aluminum, but this would stretch it and i dont think it would look well.  Ther are chrome ones i could get but next to aluminum it would still be noticable.

So if anyone out there has one.....as long as the aluminum isnt cracked our gouged too deeply, Im interested.

randy

jmanjeff

give Kirk Kelley a call he is a good guy
http://www.sportyspecialties.com/

Sporty Specialties
1875A W Commonwealth Ave
Fullerton, CA 92833
Phone:  (714) 879-0500
Toll Free:  (800) 701-2925
Fax:  (714) 879-5554
email:  sportyspecialties@gmail.com
1957  Sportster

saltcaveminer

you need a 66 xlch cover(electric start came in 67and from your pic you have a kicker only)ebay store retocycleparts has a cast unit(unpolished )for a buy now price of $228.Salty

Pynzo

Check this link to ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harley-sportster-k-lefco-racing-sprocket-clutch-cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ130266946174QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I bought one of these covers almost complete with clutch cable (they were sold as a complete kit) a few years ago and it was pretty nice, super heavy duty! I did have to fabricate one part though. The problem with this auction is the cover does not use the stock worm gear release arm (it uses a modified setup similar to a '71 up w/ ball bearings) and parts are impossible to come by. I'd look for one of these (complete kit of course) to replace your cover.