April 27, 2024, 03:42:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FLSTS Heritage Springer Front End

Started by Devo, January 25, 2009, 10:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devo

I'm trying to figure out how to rake a FLSTS front end. The FLSTS do not have removeable neck cups. Is there a way to install a longer neck stem and then use 5 degree cups. I don't want to cut the frame.

Thanks,
Devo

JohnS_Rosamond

The only raked Springers that I have seen had the frame cut and re-welded.

stroker800

The flsts is a heritage ??? correct...  You might not want to mess with the rake and trail as those springers are a -3 degrees. That is one reason they eat neck bearings...I have one modified back to a 0 degree...It was NOT an easy job to do.
Dave

JohnS_Rosamond

Yes, it's the Springer with the fat 16 inch tire on the front.

Devo

Stroker,

How did you modify it to 0 degree?

Thanks,
Devo

harleytoprock

The FLSTS looks like it ran into a wall and deraked it self.

Stroker, I'd like to know also how you did the 0 rake.
      How did it handle after that?
      Have any pictures?
        Thanks

stroker800

Devo....the springer I used was in an accident ,,,so it was an experiment.....If you look at the bottom tree where the bearing sits there is a beveled boss on which the bearing would be tighten down flush with,,,,,So first I removed the stem,,,,machined this bearing boss down flush removing the bevel,,,then enlarge the stem hole on the lower tree to an egg shaped hole,,,this is done to correct the stem angle to 0 degrees and be 90 degrees the removed boss area,,,,I tack welded in the new stem,,,installed a fx springer tree on top for alignment and welded in new stem,,,,,its very important not to overheat and warp the fit of stem to tree,,,I welded in multiple stages,,,you will know if there is warpage by the tension of stem to top tree...My top tree slides off and on perfectly,,,,,I also drilled and pinned the stem into the lower tree for added saftey,,,the bike track good and able to ride with no hands at normal speeds...at bout 110-115mph it got kinda shakey,,,not sure if its the nature of the beast with springers or bad balancing or pavement????? I haven't really got on again ,,,maybe this summer will investigate more...hope this helps....like I said it was a tricky job.

Dave

stroker800

stroker800

springer

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

stroker800

again

stroker800

again

stroker800

harleytoprock

Stroker, Nice pictures!

When you machined the hole egg shaped, was it file and hand grinder type work? As I can't imagine you can get a springer on a mill.
    Did you weld the stem on the bearing side as well to fill in the extra hole area?
     Thanks.

Devo

Thanks for the info Stroker, I get it. I think this is how Liberty Sidecar gets the 5 degree in the tree modification in the attached link. How did you egg out the lower tree? http://www.libertysidecars.com/product5.htm

Devo

stroker800

I had used a die grinder and a fluted metal bit to oblong the hole,,,,open the bottom of the hole on the under side of the treeand very little work is done on the topside of lower tree.....As far as milling the beveled seat for the bearing ...I had used some old drill press type mill I aquired from a foundry,,,,the set up took more time that the cutting,,,,maybe left behind .002 material to be hand dressed with file as nervous of cutting too much....The lower bearing sits on a custom washer I had made,,,kinda a dust shield...It is a pain,,,but worked for me...I still think the tubes need to be cut and lengthen 2"-4" as the frame has 35 degree rake...I have lowered the rear to help out...And of course still not 100% happy with the set directions on the rockers themself,,,as I said before the book is kinda vague on set up....Hope this helps you out some.
Dave

Devo

Stroker,

Thanks for the information.

Devo

Devo

Stroker,

Did you use a FXSTS top tree plate?

Devo

Devo

Da, never mind. I see you stated that earlier.

Coff 06

Why not just use an FX springer?Already has 0 rake.      Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Devo

I already have the FL front end and want to run the 16"