May 08, 2024, 10:30:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1987 1100

Started by oldskool, April 22, 2012, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Bike had been running fine went to go for a ride yesterday and the oil is sumping and there is no return?I'm thinking oil pump issue but looking for any other possibilities!!

Hillside Motorcycle

I'd start at the pump.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

andyxlh

So would I, but there's no 'puke pipe' on the '87, just the higher breather in the cam case. What makes you think it is sumping? How long since your last ride? Is there a 'funny noise'???? Is the red oil light on? Does it come on with the ignition and go out when running?
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

oldskool

Thanks guy's well it only sat over night since a ride the day before! tho oil light does go off after running but there is no oil return and it's dumping out the breather tube from cam chest!?? there is no noises!

andyxlh

Hmm - so the oil is getting past the oil pump and intoo the sump by the sounds of it. If the oil pressure light is going out then the pump must be making some delivery pressure, but the oil forced out of the breather tube is caused by rotation of the flywheels pressurising too much oil in the bottom of the case - which can get there through the oil pump. If there's no rattles the lifters are also getting oil pressure too. I can't remember how the valve on the oil pump works - the one which stops the oil which is higher in the tank than the sump from leaking into the sump, but I'd suggest that that is stuck or broken. Best case scenario - you run the bike and it pukes a bit then goes away...! The pump can be removed without taking the cam cover off, all the lines are external on these early evos, and there is a ball check valve on the oil filter head too, which can also be removed easily.
anyone got any more on this one? my bike has never done this (yet)
A
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Hillside Motorcycle

I'd take a look at the pump.........
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

hdbikedoc

1987 had problems with check valve in oil filter mount ,remove filter and take threaded stay off and check color of check valve ,if i remember correctly the brown ball was the bad one ,replace with update black
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked