April 28, 2024, 07:31:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2007 softail EFI, wont start in gear with clutch pulled in??

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, April 23, 2012, 07:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Last season if needed the bike could be started in gear with the clutch pulled in. For some reason it stopped alowing this to happen this season. It will only crank over when in neutral.

Is there any kind of interlock or "neutral safety" type system on these?

No work has been done to the bike since last season so no changes.

Thanks

Member since 2004

Skin

Yes there is a saftey switch for the clutch. It's in the switch housing along the same lines as the front brake switch on the right.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

If that is the case how would you be able to "jump start" it say if the starter gave out?

Also what does it exactly switch off of?
Member since 2004

glens

If you could "bump start" it before, you should be able to after a clutch lockout switch (circuit) failure.  I'm pretty sure it only prevents cranking the engine with the starter, not any of the other "ignition" stuff.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

OK got it, Thank you very much.

In essence it is a "neutral safety" type switch that interlocks or opens the cranking circut to the starter when the transmission is not in nuetral. Once in nuetral the clutch switch has no effect and or is not reconized by the ecm.

Thanks again
Member since 2004

FLTRI

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on April 23, 2012, 09:52:13 AM
OK got it, Thank you very much.

In essence it is a "neutral safety" type switch that interlocks or opens the cranking circut to the starter when the transmission is not in nuetral. Once in nuetral the clutch switch has no effect and or is not reconized by the ecm.

Thanks again
Usually this occurs when the owner replaces the stock brake and clutch levers with aftermarket levers (for earlier, non-safety switched bikes) that doesn't work the neutral safety switch.
Since the OP state no mods, I question proper operating safety switch.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

The levers were replaced with the correct ones (aftermarket) I dont know if they were HD or not but DID work up until this year. If the switch is the same design as the brake switch then maybe the rubber boot has torn, Maybe the lever is not very smooth and wore its way thru if the same as the brake switch.

WHat ever the cause, he does not do his own work and will be bring it to someone else to repair. It was a learning experience for me to understand it actually had this set up. Mine a (2004 carbed) does not.

Thanks again
Member since 2004

FLTRI

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on April 23, 2012, 11:01:01 AM
The levers were replaced with the correct ones (aftermarket) I dont know if they were HD or not but DID work up until this year.
I have had many customers who have changed their levers and have no idea the bike would not start in gear...until I brought it to their attention.
The BIG issue?
ie: Have the bike die, for what ever reason, in the middle of a busy intersection and try to re-start it to get out of the way. You must find neutral (rocking the bike back and forth?) in order to re-start.
NOT FUN!
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

FSG

Refer 2007_Model_Year_Technical_Forum  Page 4

also the Wiring Diagrams in the Section, Wiring_2007_All_Softail_DOM-INT Page 5 of 11.

kik

I actually wish my bike had a safety switch. I'm in the habit of leaving the bike in neutral when I park it. Here a couple of weeks ago I stopped at a gas station and went inside. I came out to find some kids messing with it. I chased them off, but being in the habit of always leaving it in neutral  I hit the switches and the bike launched forward. Kids shifted to first gear on me.