May 02, 2024, 09:30:02 AM

News:

new pipe

Started by randallwhitman, January 25, 2009, 02:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randallwhitman

Just wanted to show you guys my new pipe.  And, now that I'm an old guy, 65, my new tag.  Randy

Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

dirtywhitewalls

vern

nice bike but i don't know about the pipes, a tad loud but at 65 who cares

FSG

at 65 , is that age, speed or both ?   :teeth:

HV

Put a pipe like that on a TC last year... not as bad as you mite think .... im sure its louder at Idle though then it was on a TC
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

HarleyCharley

Not to fond of the pipes, very loud probably, but I love you scoot. That really looks great. Like to know a little more about it.  :smilep:

charley

v10ole

Looks great, I bet they hear ya comming and going now. Any changes on how she runs? :up:

randallwhitman

Ok.....for Charley and others:  I had the guys at Twisted Choppers weld in some Khromewerks HP Plus baffles just above the collector.  The pipe really isn't very loud and has great torque across the rpm range. 
For Charley:  I've owned this old girl for 23 years.  Started out as a 74" police bike.  First re-do had a 98" S&S sidewinder kit, which is 3 5/8" X 4 3/4".  MAJOR vibration.  After many years decided to destroke it to 4 1/2" and also discovered the Axtell big bore cylinders, so went with them ( 3 13/16") for a total of 103" with Truett and Osborn TorqueMonster flywheels.  It's had the original four speed with Andrews close ratio gears, a Sputhe five-in-a-four, and now a JIMS 6 in a 4.  It's also got a Karata open belt primary (3"), and I changed the swingarm to the Sturgis model and now have a belt to the wheel.  It's got a Compufire fully electronic ignition, single fire, with VOES and dual plugged cylinders being fired by a four tower Dyna coil.  Velva Touch hydraulic lifters (Comp Cams) with Andrews cam and JIMS improved ratio (1.5:1) roller rockers.  Baisley double speed oil pump gears and S&S oil pump.
S&S G carb and S&S heads.  Performance Machine four piston brakes with floating rotors and Lyndall brake pads.  Milwaukee Iron fenders and Softail gas tanks (stockers always cracked and leaked).  Pat Kennedy stainless oil tank with FX style battery. 
I also own an '07 Street Glide, but it would be the one to go if I had to get rid of a bike.  Hope I didn't bore you to death.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

stroker800

I get it your hearing is getting bad due to your age,,,,can't hear the rumble?  ha ha ha ha
Dave

dirtywhitewalls

i wasn't knocking the pipe, actually, i like it.  however, my hair is too long, my bars are too tall, i have no turn signals, etc, etc. very loud pipes only gives the man another reason to profile me.
mike

ramcr913

Randy, nice scoot, and congratulations on a job well done. Couple of questions if you don't mind...

What year is the bike?
Was the Pat Kennedy oil tank a "bolt in" item- did you have to make mods?
Did you grind/cut off gas tank mounts for the the Softail flatsides, and what mounts did you replace them with?
What starter are you using (oil tank clearance?)
Rear brake- ???
Why did you swap out the original 4 speed transmission?
I am re-doing a shovelhead (1980 FXEF, I'm the original owner)- looks like you conquered some of the challenges I am up against at...

Thanks
Rick
PS- what's up with the Geezer plate - A man is as young as the woman he feels (or something like that!)

ricochet

I like it a lot (the bike).  To me it's the true picture of what a roadster should be.  Hairy and roadready.  Job well done.

ricochet

randallwhitman

Quote from: ramcr913 on January 25, 2009, 08:53:01 PM
Randy, nice scoot, and congratulations on a job well done. Couple of questions if you don't mind...

What year is the bike?
Was the Pat Kennedy oil tank a "bolt in" item- did you have to make mods?
Did you grind/cut off gas tank mounts for the the Softail flatsides, and what mounts did you replace them with?
What starter are you using (oil tank clearance?)
Rear brake- ???
Why did you swap out the original 4 speed transmission?
I am re-doing a shovelhead (1980 FXEF, I'm the original owner)- looks like you conquered some of the challenges I am up against at...

The bike is a '76 FLP.  The oil tank required some tabs be welded to the seat post (same as mounting a softtail horseshoe tank).  The gas tanks required a backbone weld-on kit from Drag (?).....I can't remember if the original mounts remained.  The Karata open primary uses about a '90 starter.  The four speed tranny always seems like you're in the wrong gear, which is why the factory went with the five speed.  The six speed is heaven on a shovel if you do a lot of open road riding.......65 and up.  The rear brake is a Performance Machine four piston caliper mounted rigid style (caliper down, not up like stock).  Have fun.  Randy

Thanks
Rick
PS- what's up with the Geezer plate - A man is as young as the woman he feels (or something like that!)
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

HarleyCharley

Wow, Randall, that thing must scoot! Is the 103 setup much smoother than the 98? You and the bike have a lot of history so I can under stand why the '07 would go first if push comes to shove. Thanks for the info.
:up:  :beer:  :up:

charley

randallwhitman

Charley.....the 1/4" shorter stroke on the 103 makes a big difference in vibes.....but my comparison is not "apples to apples".  I used the Truett & Osborn heavy flywheels for the shorter stroke motor, and they probably absorb some vibration.  S&S used to rate engine longevity by stroke.  The 4 3/4" stroke was rated "fair", and the 4 1/2" stroke was rated "good".  Less side loading on the pistons and less piston speed.  The five inch stroke was rated "poor".  Yes.....the bike hauls ass.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

92Fatty

Nice bike!! :smilep: I bet the 07 doesn't get too much action with that sitting next to it. Again very nice.