May 08, 2024, 05:51:05 PM

News:

Need Brake Lever , Got Fat Feet

Started by War Horse, April 24, 2012, 12:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

Got tired of scraping the right floorboard and moved it up, now my fat foot doesnt fit under the brake lever  :embarrassed:

Does anybody know if there is a longer or different lever ? And who makes/sells one ?

Oh, '99 FLHTC-U
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Dennis The Menace

Cant you remove the arm and reposition it for the clearance?  I'm not familiar with that year, so maybe its a dumb question.

War Horse

Wish I could Dennis, but its a fixed arm assy. , and no adjustment for the master cyl. pushrod.   :emsad:

HroadhogD1

April 24, 2012, 01:01:25 PM #3 Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:05:54 PM by HroadhogD1
Harley davidson makes an extended reach brake lever.  Would that work?  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442292311&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290711&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290711&locale=en_US&bmUID=1335297593365&bmLocale=en_US

It is longer, so there is more room under the petal.  At least thats what it looks like to me.

PC_Hater

Look at page 402 in the 2012 Parts & Accessories pdf.
Billet Style Brake Lever Extended Reach 42638-03 fits 1997 to 2007 Touring Models $164.95

A bit of mayhem with a welding torch would do it.
If you can't weld then saw the lever in half, make up a metal plate, drill a few holes and bolt it all back together so that it is longer.

I have an EZI-Brake lever ('puts the damned thing where it ought to be') on my FL  but I think they went out of business some years ago.
Custom Chrome or Kuryakyn probably have something in their catalogues too.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

War Horse

Hmmmm, thanks guys, just read that and it says " like the later model brake levers" , may have to look at some later models and see what gives......... at least it's a starting point.  :up:

PC_Hater

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

War Horse

PC-Hater, Thanks, theres the ticket  :smile: , I'll get with them tomorrow and make sure it fits my ride, might first try the cut, plate and weld thing, but dont really feel good going that route plus it'll probably look like chit.  :embarrassed:

Nooter99

Kuryakyn also sells an extended brake lever, very good quality, got one on my bike, about $70 on ebay.
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!

moscooter

:soda:
I had an EZ Brake pedal on two of my 'ol RK Classics.............great product.

dunbarton

I switched my 2000 FLU from the old to the new style oem brake peddle years ago. It gives you @ 2" more height which is good in most cases. It's a straight swap for the old, and has been used on all the touring bikes for probably 10 years now. Mechanically the only difference I recall is that the old style had a grease fitting and the new one doesn't.. just a teflon-looking thin bushing which has worked perfectly well on mine for 7 or 8 years now.
I wouldn't be bothered cutting and welding the old one.

War Horse

I'm going to call around today and see what my local buds have in stock.

Not going to cut and weld, not a problem with welding but more weakening the lever around it, I do practice threshold braking and put quite a bit of pressure on the pedal. Really for the price difference and appearance , not worth it.

War Horse

turboprop

I have one that you can have for free. Made by Walters Workshop. Was on my evo softail with factory floorboards. I think it will also fit your bike. Check it out at Walters and if it will fit you can have it. Mine is chrome with the oval pedal. -Ed
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

tdkkart

Somewhere after 2001 the brake lever got changed, my '01 Ultra had a short upright pedal, the later one was lower and further forward, I think they came out in '02.

War Horse

Turboprop, it shows 2 different part #'s , looks to be a bit different off set to the tang for the brake actuating rod, judging by the pictures. That sucks  :emsad:

Thanks for the offer  :up:

Ed Y

Quote from: tdkkart on April 25, 2012, 06:32:00 AM
Somewhere after 2001 the brake lever got changed, my '01 Ultra had a short upright pedal, the later one was lower and further forward, I think they came out in '02.

Yep, 02 was when HD changed the brake lever on touring bikes.

War Horse,

If you can find a take-off from 02 thru 08, it might solve your problem.

War Horse

thanks Ed, going up to a place in Ocala tomorrow, H&B Cycles, I called him today and he said that he's got a few for $40.00.

Seems ebay ran off all the good sellers and to many on there now have a ton of negative feedback, I'd rather take a 80 mile round trip and pay a little more than take a chance and aggravation, plus it's a ride , right?  :bike:

Grumpy : (

If you haven't been to H-B before, see if you can get the tour.  He's got a LOT of great old bikes and stuff.
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

War Horse

Thanks Grumpy, but I've known Richard for quite a few years, I even bought my current bike from him. Just gotta pack a lunch when ya go there...  :wink:

Ed Y

Quote from: War Horse on April 25, 2012, 01:06:18 PM
thanks Ed, going up to a place in Ocala tomorrow, H&B Cycles, I called him today and he said that he's got a few for $40.00.

Seems ebay ran off all the good sellers and to many on there now have a ton of negative feedback, I'd rather take a 80 mile round trip and pay a little more than take a chance and aggravation, plus it's a ride , right?  :bike:

Hope you find one. I've been traveling thru that area for many years. Always meaning to go by that shop but never have. I gotta write myself a note to do it next time I'm on my way to Deland.

codyshop

Quote from: Nooter99 on April 24, 2012, 04:47:21 PM
Kuryakyn also sells an extended brake lever, very good quality, got one on my bike, about $70 on ebay.

Great product, and you're indy can beat that price.   

War Horse

Got it done.... man, I wonder why I didnt do this years ago  :scratch: got some billet extended used one, even match's the rest of my bike  :embarrassed:

Bought a new heim joint shifter rod while I was there, I figured that after 94K I was pushing my luck.

Thanks to all of my HTT brothers for coming through again :up:  :beer: