April 27, 2024, 03:44:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

96 ultra swingarm

Started by ironhorse, November 05, 2008, 06:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironhorse

I am going to replace the drive belt on my 96 FLHTCU. While I have it apart I would like to replace bushings and rubber mounts in the swingarm. It has felt squirrely in the rear end for some time now. Would like to know what others have done in this area and what results I can expect.

Trip

November 05, 2008, 01:31:51 PM #1 Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:34:22 PM by Trip
Sta-Bo inserts work real well....  http://sta-bo.com/_wsn/page3.html

64 Panhead

Trip,   what do you mean by that ??,    I'm thinking about doing the same thing to the swingarm..64

Buddy WMC

I spoke to my trusted local Indy about this very subject as I need to fix mine. While I was installing a Baker DD6 in my FXR I noticed that the pervious owners mechanic "cheated" by only removing the left side pivot block to squeeze the new belt through. In the process the outside bushing and nylon washer on the left side were destroyed. The threads on the pivot shaft were also stripped and I had ridden this bike about 2000 miles which scared me to say the least. The bike had only 18K on her at the time.

I had no choice as the bike was on the lift and had the bushings, washers and pivot shaft shipped 2nd day air from V-Twin. My trusted Indy had installed the Drag Specialties Spherical swing arm bearing kit sometime back on his own bike. I showed him the literature on the Sta-Bo bushings as they are less expensive than the Drag kit. He told me that although they work, he did not like them vs the spherical bearing kit that he installed over 100,000K ago and that it is still tight with no sway. He advised me to just buy the bearing kit itself as I have a new pivot shaft.

What do you guys think? There is a nylon kit that Americanclassic sells on ebay for about $110.00. The Delrin Sta-Bo kit is similar in appearance but costs about double at $210.00. The Drag kit without the pivot shaft runs about $279.00. It just makes sense to me that a bearing would be smoother than a bushing.

Trip

Got a link for that offset bearing??

kickstart

i hear the  nylon kit that Americanclassic sells on ebay for about $110.00 was a copy of sta-bo

I have the sta-bo an am very happy with it butt would like to know more about this bearing
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

Trip

Yeh...a bearing sounds real good!!

ironhorse

I have heard a lot about Sta-Bo.  Both pro and con.  Seems they really tighten the swing arm and help handling. The con is with the vibration.  My Ultra has 75k miles and still using the original belt, bushings, and rubber mounts.  Started noticing the handling issue at about 40k. The front mount was replaced at around 50k.  I will probably go with Sta-Bo but was just wandering what others have done. Back with stock or aftermarket. What about vibration with Sta-Bo? 

Gashman

November 09, 2008, 08:45:45 AM #8 Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:39:26 PM by Gashman
I have a 97 RK.   I put a "ride-str8" on mine that made a night/day difference.  Its the same as true trac and the others that are out there, but I like the way it mounts better.  Cant even see it.  Later I installed the Spherical bearings from custom cycle engineering.  Yes, it does stiffin up the rear end slop, but it also adds more vibration due to no rubber being in there to allow it to move (up/down) as motor is running.  If I had to do it all over again, I would leave the factory cleave blocks in there, or replace with the same and just add a ride-str8 or similar setup and be done with it.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience....

:beer: Gash

Trip

I hear Honda Goldwings dont vibrate.

Buddy WMC

Guys I don't have link, but the spherical bearing kit is in the DS Fatbook. I found it online in the calatog the kit W/O pivot shaft is $296.00 retail with the pivot shaft it is $330.00. I can be had from a discounter for about $242 W/O the shaft, $296.00 with + shipping. It makes sense that a bearing would be smoother and last longer than a bushing.

Alot of guys forget to retorque the pivot shaft when servicing their bikes this could make a difference too.

Trip

Thanks...but i thought Drag Specialties went tits up ???

Trip

busmechanic1

Has anyone checked out the Custom Cycle Engineering kit for 80-01 FLT P-450 DK AS I am thinking R&R the worn stockers on my 90 FLT looks to me to be a nice replacement . Thanks

Fugawee

Hi there...Sorry to be late with this reply......Anyways...Check your swing arm for wear="cupping" at the area where the rear axle goes thru. I have a 94 FLHTC that had 74000 miles on it in October 2007. Was preparing to ride to Daytona for Biketoberfest and needed to replace the rear tire when I noticed it. The axle had ground down the metal where it rides in the swingarm on the inside of the arm. No matter what You did to adjust the belt...the axle would always find its way to the low "cupped" area causing the belt to be misaligned. You can only see this on the inside of the arm. So while your wheel is off, stick Your head in there and take a good look around. My bike has always been well maintained, and the rear axle always torqued. The spacers ate into the arm, and also the axle into it. I wound up having to replace the entire swing-arm. I did not trust building the area back up (welding/grinding) so I bit the big one and replaced the swing-arm, pivot shaft, all the rubber bushings around the pivot shaft, the drive belt (what the hell-might as well), the complete rear axle, the adjusters, the wheel spacers and the rear wheel bearings (another what the hell-might as well). Everything replaced was HD. EVERYTHING had to be ordered. Not one item on the Dealers shelves here in CT, except for the wheel bearings which I already had. Everything came in at different times. Finally, three days before I was leaving I got the final part needed...the pivot shaft. Once everything was replaced, the bike felt just like it did when I bought it in June 1994. Nice and smooth...No Bullsh#t...Handled great. The whole thing cost Me about 700-750; 2007 US dollars. Just parts. I did the work. Had a great ride to and from Florida. (And a great time, period)

Ironically, one of My riding buddies who also went to Florida developed a squeak/squeal from His rear belt on the ride home from Florida. He has a 95 FLHTCU. At the time He had about 80000 miles on it. Yep...You guessed it...We got home, took off the rear wheel, and the same routine all over again.

Sorry to go on and on. Good luck with the Project!

Take Care All..."Bits"

ironhorse

After carefull consideration and thanks to you guys, I have decided to go back with the factory bushings and rubber mounts. Will be adding the Bagger Brace. Will re-post with results in a month or so. Thanks for the help

Buddy WMC

Trip,
Can you send me the link for that part? I need to print out a copy to give to wifey as that is going to be my Christmas gift. I have a spare swingarm off at the powder coater and with any luck will have her fixed before New Years.

Norton Commando

I replaced the swingarm bushings on my '90 FLHS with OEM units to  maintain vibration to acceptable levels.  Vibration breaks parts.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

kickstart

I see several people that have replaced their entire swingarm set ups.
I also did on my 99 Butt I installed an 06 set up.
Why Not ?
I picked up everything I could at swap meets over a few months and then did the job my self.
I believe in the newer set up.
After about 20k miles I also put in sta-bo's, yes there is more vibration butt again well worth the benefits
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.