April 27, 2024, 04:40:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Push Rod Cover Seals

Started by rkrcpa, May 01, 2012, 08:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkrcpa

What's the deal with the different pushrod cover seals? I've got the top end off to replace base gaskets on my '80 FLH and I'm wondering what the differences are. Are they interchangeable? My parts manual specifies Quad seals rather than corks for 1980. What changed? Is the cover different? The lifter block?

The reason I ask is that when I took it apart it had corks in it but the corks I have don't seem to fit the bottom of the cover. Is there a trick to using corks? How did the last guy get them in there?

jamnut

Hi all. New here.

If you still have the original PR tubes,you should have quad seals on the bottom and O rings in the middle and top on your 1980.
Bottom oem no.  11133a Quad seal  late 79-*
Middle oem no. 11132 O ring  late 79- *
Top oem no.  11101 O ring  late 79-early 81

Early PR covers had flat tops and bottoms to seal with the cork washers. Later PR tubes were flat around the circumference with a tubular protrusion out of the center,top and bottom to support the quad seal or O ring.

The smaller quad seals work great on the rocker arm shaft plugs too,instead of O rings.
Slim. - one owner '73 FX
2001 FLHTCUI converted to carb

Lew

:agree:  Welcome to HTT Jamnut.. :up:

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

rkrcpa

Thanks Jamnut, that makes sense. I don't know how they got the corks to fit in those tubes I have. Quad seals it is.