May 02, 2024, 10:37:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Degreeing a camshaft

Started by tbickle22, January 26, 2009, 12:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbickle22

OK I,m stuck at trying to figure out how to degree my camshaft into my 1976 Shovel. The last cam I had in it I could never get enough advance into the timing to get the motor to run without sputtering, and breaking up at anything over 2950 rpm. I ruled out air leaks at the carb and manifold, installed new petcock and removed carb and cleaned it and reset the float.
The thing is the guy who I got the cam from finally admitted he had removed the cam gear and replaced it. Why? I don't know. The cam was a older Sifton "H" grind and I am now installing a Andrews "A" and need to press a gear on to use it. I have a S&S Degree wheel part # 53-0020 and of course magnetic bases and dial indicators, but lack the knowledge to use them.  :embarrassed: Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks     JD
JD

Hybredhog

Just working off the top of my head now, but you should be able to press on the new gear with the visual ade of the knotch on  the cams gear stop ridge. Its exactly180 degrees oposite from the crank timing mark on the gear (not the breather mark),. if you have a old cam that hasn't been split apart, you'll see what I mean, and the exact oposite tooth from the crank timing mark (not the breather mark), should be right in the middle of the cam's knotch. You can have a + or - factor of 4 degrees to make it run, any more than that could be dangerous.
   Actual degreeing of the cam in the bike, you'll need to know the given cams specs, i.e. example, intake opens at 20 btdc, closes at 46 abdc. but most cam's specs start at .052 of cam lift, so you'll also need a dial indicator on the lifter....Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hillside Motorcycle

January 28, 2009, 04:46:26 AM #2 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:48:02 AM by Hillsidecyclecom
In order to "degree" a cam, you'll need a degree wheel, mounted to the sprocket shaft, and a pointer(piece of wire).
Also a dial indicator to monitor lifter travel.
Go through the motions, and you can find the "exact" place where your gear belongs. Piece of Cake.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

tbickle22

Jeffs, Hillside , thanks for the reply. I think I'm getting the basics of how to use the equipment but the actual "go thru the motions" step by step stuff is not layed out in the instructions for the S&S degree wheel I have access to.
As I understand it I should put the indicator on the lifter(which one?) and roll motor around to bottom the lifter and then come up .053. This is where the cam readings/degrees are taken from? Now the degree wheel is bolted to the end of the pinion shaft? I set the marker on the wheel at zero? and then rotate the motor again and then what? I'm now officially lost. :sink:
Any help greatly appreciated
JD :crook:
JD

113evo1

tbickle22

January 30, 2009, 09:24:11 AM #5 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:33:02 AM by tbickle22
113, hey thanks that is exactly what I needed. A step by step for dummies, seriously thank -you this will do it
JD
JD

Dawgtired

Hey 113evo1,
thats one for Tech Tips :up:
Dawg