April 28, 2024, 01:13:19 AM

News:

Looking for Pay as you Go Cell Info in CA

Started by HV, January 26, 2009, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV

Planing our trip a bit more... rather then use roaming fees... someone said you can buy a Cell with Pay as you go at Places like Walmart for like $30 or so ?
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

torque4me

check out 7-11 stores? a) they are on every corner b) easier in and out ( quick buys)
just a thought!
"what the heck do I know?"

HogBob

TracFone is available at Walmart, RieAid, Dollar Stores, RadioShack and probably many other national retail drug store type markets. Motorola phone is about $20 and phone cards are available from 90 days (60 minutes) for $19.99 in increments up to a year for $90 -- not sure how many minutes, but more than I'd ever use. I dropped Verizon a couple of years ago and the TracFone is great. Since I don't have a cell phone glued to my ear, I don't even use the full 60 minutes during each 90 day phone card so at each renewal my minutes keep accumulating. I now have over 300! Service is good and there is no roaming charges. It also provides voice mail and texting. I assume its available on the West Coast since its all over the East Coast.

Bob

HIPPO

Check the coverage along your route for the different carriers.

Cricket has cell and internet with no contract and pay as you go.

http://www.mycricket.com/

Coyote

If you ride where we usually do, might as well leave it at home! Seriously though, see who's network they are using. The best coverage is ATT/Verizon. You should be ok on major interstates but none of them will work on a lot of back roads.

02roadcling

I bought a spare phone for a worker to call me and his home at Walmart for 19.99. Regular cost was 9.99. For the extra 10 bucks all the minutes are doubled. Best deal going.
(my personal plan is 1400 carryover minutes per month for me and the wife, lol)

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

HIPPO

Quote from: Coyote on January 26, 2009, 02:21:34 PM
If you ride where we usually do, might as well leave it at home! Seriously though, see who's network they are using. The best coverage is ATT/Verizon. You should be ok on major interstates but none of them will work on a lot of back roads.

Yeah, that's true. Most places we ride Verizon is the only one that works.

HV

Trac looks good...I was just on the Walmart web site... 29.95  including double min .... all we will need for a week,... only may use it if we get separated in a large area ( then there will be service ) .. back roads etc..Ill be RIDIN not talking..  :hyst:

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

cdflh80

check out virgin mobile at wallyworld, phones are like $10.00 to start also have a camera phone with web access. they offer 400min cards for $30.00.differant call plans, got mine for couple years now no complaints.

shadetree

I use tracfone and wallyworld in my area has a dmfl phone for 9.88. if you activate the phone via their web site you will receive 60 days and 20 minutes or units however you want to refer to them. also look at the bottom of the package and the model no. will tell you if the phone has a at&t sim or a t-mobile sim. stay away from the t-mobile, service not as good. here is the model no. for the 9.88 phone with dmfl. TFMTW175P4DM. TF--tracfone. MT--motorola. W175--phone model. P4--at&t sim. DM--double minutes for life. if the P4 has a T5 or some other letter with a 5 it's a t-mobile sim. i have been told that wallyworld only sells tracfone with at&t sims due to t-mobile overall coverage not being as widespread. also buy minutes from the web site and use a bonus code for bonus minutes, there is always some kind of bonus available to pick up some extra minutes.

HIPPO

Quote from: HV® on January 26, 2009, 02:31:47 PM
Trac looks good...I was just on the Walmart web site... 29.95  including double min .... all we will need for a week,... only may use it if we get separated in a large area ( then there will be service ) .. back roads etc..Ill be RIDIN not talking..  :hyst:

As long as the POS runs.  :hyst:

I guess being in a group it isn't as important, but I like the ability to save a few hours in a emergency.
Some Euro friends I take into the back country will not go without their sat phones.

HDRDR

Quote from: HV® on January 26, 2009, 02:31:47 PM

Best way to go, and no monthly payments just use it if needed and forget about the rest of the garbage with a cell phone.

Have a nice trip :up:

04glide

With my Verizon plan roaming is free along with long distance. I get great cell service everywhere I ride. A buddy of mine has the radio shack pay as you go service and I can't reach him half the time due to no service on his phone.