April 30, 2024, 05:08:56 AM

News:

4 speed tranny leak

Started by 1931jamesw, May 06, 2012, 05:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1931jamesw

Wish I hadnt taken the job on but I have a 76 shovel in the shop with a transmission leak on the mainshaft. I looked at Big Boyz tech write up and it doesnt look exactly like what Im looking at and neither does the service manual I have for it. The guy has converted it over to a dry clutch if that means anything... I have pulled the compensator, clutch basket, kick side cover to remove the clutch pushrod and the inner primary and sprocket. There's a race type thing with a notch machined in it inside the seal that just turns and turns and turns. It doesnt get looser or tighter. Kinda stumped here and looking for some help. I called a friend whos into shovels and he said google shovelhead supernut. Whats the word on fixing this? Also seams to be leaking on the same side at the engine. What needs to be done there? The stator rotor doesnt seen to want to come off.  :scratch:

easyricer

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of Shovelheads! The leak on the tranny is most likely coming from the mainshaft bushing in the main drive gear. If it is worn (and they usually are) then you will keep replacing the mail shaft seal until it drives you nuts. The spacer you are referring to is a keyed spacer. There should be a small "L" shaped key in that slot.
On the alternator rotor there should be two holes for a removal tool to fit into. I usually just grab two long 5/16 bolts and wedge them in to pull it off. It will most likely take some wallering around to get it off. Check the splined shaft spacer and the rotor for any wear, then replace the mainshaft seal.
That should help you out some. The torque specs for putting it all back together are 100ft lbs on the compensator nut and 80 ft lbs on the clutch hub nut. You will probably need help adjusting the clutch also if you are not familiar with 4 speeds.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

96flhpi

EZ is a good go to guy on this stuff.  FWIW, dry clutch is stock on most shovels.

76shuvlinoff

and when you get that done I have a 4 speed in the basement that needs an overhaul.....

Seriously, welcome and good luck!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 1931jamesw on May 06, 2012, 05:34:55 PM
Wish I hadnt taken the job on but I have a 76 shovel in the shop with a transmission leak on the mainshaft. I looked at Big Boyz tech write up and it doesnt look exactly like what Im looking at and neither does the service manual I have for it. The guy has converted it over to a dry clutch if that means anything... I have pulled the compensator, clutch basket, kick side cover to remove the clutch pushrod and the inner primary and sprocket. There's a race type thing with a notch machined in it inside the seal that just turns and turns and turns. It doesnt get looser or tighter. Kinda stumped here and looking for some help. I called a friend whos into shovels and he said google shovelhead supernut. Whats the word on fixing this? Also seams to be leaking on the same side at the engine. What needs to be done there? The stator rotor doesnt seen to want to come off.  :scratch:

As already mentioned, it is more than likely, the MDG bushing has lost it's fit.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

easyricer

I should add as well, if you are willing to tackle the job of disassembling the transmission to replace the main drive gear bushing, be sure and get a manual. 4 speed trannies are tractor trannies but they can be a real pain to get apart if you don't know how they come apart.
If the mainshaft and bushing are worn (and you can sometimes tell by grabbing the shaft on the primary side and moving it around) you can simply replace the bushing in the main drive gear and have a machine shop size the bushing and the shaft together. The bushing comes undersized to be reamed to fit. My machine shop charges me $30 to clean up the main shaft and size the bushing to it.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Hillside Motorcycle

Best to check the O.D. of the mainshaft as well.
They wear, where they ride in the bushing.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

1931jamesw

I got the big seal out and the spacer that was just spinning. It looks like the lock to hold the spacer from spinning is missing. There is some very light wear on the spacer so Im going to replace the spacer, cork seal, large seal and the seal between the mainshaft and 4th gear. There does not seem to be any excessive play in the mainshaft. The nut had lost its clamp load. it wasnt even finger tight so I'll be red lock tighting that obviously. On the engine end, it appears the leak is coming from the two small screws that hold the alternator wires. Whats the best way to seal that up? RTV? Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me here.

War Horse

Dont overlook the small seal in the end of the main drive gear itself, getting the new one in straight is a challenge if you've never done one. Buy a few and you'll get the last one in OK.

Using a pipe that fits snug on the MS to drive the seal in will make it easy, make sure the pipe has been cut square.
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: War Horse on May 07, 2012, 12:04:34 PM
Dont overlook the small seal in the end of the main drive gear itself, getting the new one in straight is a challenge if you've never done one. Buy a few and you'll get the last one in OK.

Using a pipe that fits snug on the MS to drive the seal in will make it easy, make sure the pipe has been cut square.

Good advice, from a man that has apparently been there. :up:
Scott

War Horse

Thanks Scott, Yeah, I've done one or two  :wink:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory