April 27, 2024, 12:50:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

new topic...

Started by garyajaz, January 26, 2009, 03:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyajaz

anything?  we been too quiet here. 
i know i been riding a lot.  its been 80 around here. 
i must admit i been riding my ironhead...lol....
funny we post way less problems that the vaunted twin cam bikes...
guess we out riding our buells....
bout time i trade back to it. 
the sporty been fun but that buell button to start is nice.
next month will go get out the stupidglide and ride it some....
decisions, decisions...

panhead_dan

I've been noticing it's very slow around here lately.  We got dumped down by a bunch of snow recently.  It has slowed down my riding a bit and I'm sure others as well.

All I've got motorcycle wise lately is that I have been working on my kick stand on the Beull a bit.  The damned thing keeps coming loose.  I replaced the two bolts that hold the kick stand to the engine with two studs and used fiber locking nuts.  The nuts came loose too.  I swapped them for all steel locking nuts.  We shall see.

I don't have many miles on the bike since changing the primary gearing but in the few miles I have ridden it appears that my gas mileage has gone in the toilet.  More miles on the bike will tell the story on both points.

Last Saturday I was freaking out because I thought I had an oil leak.  It turned out to be that road de-icer they spray on the asphalt around here.  I've got it all over the bike.

Winter sucks and I hope it's over soon.

panhead_dan

Update on my kikstand studs.

The new nuts came loose in like 30 miles. I decided to go back to square one and took it all back apart, removed the studs from the engine case (note to self-throw the red locktite in the trash) and look the whole thing over more closely. My good riding partner Alan was helping me and at this point asked me for a flat file. He found that the casting on the engine was not anywhere near flat. I got out another file and found the same thing on the kickstand plate (also cast). After some stroking with our files, I used 2 ,1-1/4 grade 8 flange head bolts and a generous slathering of BLUE locktite.
I've got about 200 miles on it now and it's still tight!

The problem was not with the stock hardware or my studs conversion. It was the fit of the engine case and kickstand plate.
The kickstand problem seemed to be the only thing that kept going haywire and made my Uly not good for a long distance bike. I'm looking forward to an extended shake down run this summer to see if I can get any more gremlins to come to the surface. For now it's still gonna be my daily rider.

panhead_dan

From H-DNet:

Buell Racers Gearing Up for 2009 Daytona Season Opener

East Troy, Wis. (February 24, 2009) -
Buell racers from around the country are gearing up for the 2009 race season, which kicks off at Daytona International Speedway during Daytona Bike Week February 28 through March 6.

In AMA Pro Racing action, the 2009 season opens with a paradigm shift as new series management and class structures debut at Daytona on Wednesday, March 4. The historic Daytona 200 moves to a thrilling new nighttime run under the lights on the evening of Friday, March 6. Six Buell 1125Rs are entered in the Daytona SportBike class for the Daytona 200, which will be broadcast live on SPEED TV at 8 p.m. (Eastern). Daytona 200 Buell riders include Michael Barnes (Geico Powersports/RMR), Danny Eslick (Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing/RMR), Alan Schmidt and Josh Bryan (Latus Motors H-D/Buell), Bryan Bemisderfer (H-D/Buell of Frederick) and Shawn Higbee (Bartels’ H-D/Buell).

“We’ve learned a lot from racing in the MOTO-ST series for the past two seasons,” said RMR’s Richie Morris. “It was intense and the competition was good, but it was nothing like we’ll face this year. We’ve got a second year bike, two new teams, and two new riders, and we’re starting the season at the biggest, most important race,” Morris said. “We’ve had good results in testing and I think before the end of the year, we’ll be up front. We’ve got a veteran [rider] and a young gun, so I think we’ve covered all our bases.”

Joining veteran racer Michael Barnes is 22-year-old Danny Eslick, who cut his teeth racing dirt track before turning to road racing in 2005. He’s no stranger to the Daytona 200, having finished fourth in the 2005 race.

“I’m super excited to be working with Richie, Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing, Buell, and my teammate Michael Barnes,” said Eslick of Broken Arrow, Okla. “I was planning on getting my dirt track gear together when I got the call that [RMR] was looking for a second rider.” Eslick’s first introduction to his Buell 1125R and the new Dunlop spec tires came during a test at Jennings Grand Prix in Florida in early February. “These new tires are right up my alley. I think they’re really going to work well with the Buell’s torque to get off the corners,” said Eslick. “I’d be more than happy with a top five finish, but my goal for Daytona is to leave with a good solid finish and come out healthy and ready for the rest of the season.”

Recovering from a pre-season testing hand injury, Eslick’s teammate Michael Barnes will use the opening days of Bike Week to test his readiness for the 200-mile race.

“After our successful test under the lights at Daytona in January, we were testing at Jennings GP in early February and unfortunately I had a high-speed low side crash that resulted in a third metacarpal fracture. It was immediately plated, and the prognosis is very good,” Barnes said. “We’re managing the soft tissue recovery now, and we plan to use the CCS weekend to assess my performance for the 200. If I don’t think I’m capable of representing the team and our sponsors, we’ve got a substitute rider lined up. But I’m optimistic, because I really don’t want to miss the start of my 21st season racing at Daytona!”

Rounding out the AMA Pro Racing Buell highlights at Bike Week is the debut of the SunTrust Moto-GT series’ new class structure, which includes the horsepower and weight restricted GT1 and GT2 classes. The two-hour season opener will begin at 4 P.M. on Friday, March 6, immediately prior to the opening ceremonies for the Daytona 200.

Stepping up from the former MOTO-ST GrandSport Twins class to contest Moto-GT1, the James Gang/Hoban Brothers Racing team sponsored by H-D/Buell of Appleton will debut its new 1125R with riders Paul James and Jeff Johnson. Also entered aboard an 1125R in Moto-GT1 is the Liberty Waves Racing/Antelope Valley H-D/Buell 1125R ridden by Eric Pinson and Eric Haugo.

“We earned 11 podium finishes in two seasons of MOTO-ST competition aboard a Buell Firebolt, but this is a whole new ball game,” said James. “We’re ready for the challenge.”

Bike Week’s racing action kicks off with the Championship Cup Series (CCS) and American Sportbike Racing Association Pro (ASRA Pro) at DIS the weekend of Feb. 28-March 2, and topping the list of Buell entries in the ASRA Pro Thunderbike class will be the return of a trio of former class champs, including 2007 class champ and 2008 runner-up Dave Estok (Deeley H-D/Buell). Also entered in Thunderbike are 2006 champion Dan Bilansky (Hal’s H-D/Buell), and 2004 champion Bryan Bemisderfer (H-D/Buell of Frederick). All are riding Buell Firebolt XB12Rs.

“I’ve got this weird on again, off again thing going with the [Thunderbike] championship. I won it in ’03, ’05, and ’07, so I feel like this is my year,” said Estok, who will also contest the Parts Canada Superbike Championship this season.

Just to reiterate:
The historic Daytona 200 moves to a thrilling new nighttime run under the lights on the evening of Friday, March 6. Six Buell 1125Rs are entered in the Daytona SportBike class for the Daytona 200, which will be broadcast live on SPEED TV at 8 p.m. (Eastern).

I can't wait! 

4DWUDS

February 25, 2009, 03:29:14 PM #4 Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:18:09 PM by 4DWUDS
Me, I been busy playing on my new M2, And having a ball !!!, Still rides like a 80 mph Pogo Stick till I get the rear shock from a Bueller here in N. Phx. There is a AZ Bueller meet March 2 at the Chase Diner, 6:30 PM, 2040 North Alma School rd. Chandler. I planned on going, Anyone else ?
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

help-u2

sure.  keep me updated...

help-u2

well hell 4D, the 2nd is monday on my calendar.  thought there were more days in the month.
monday ups is bringing parts for the superglide.  its been down a while..
was gonna install stuff and make it run...
buell is over in storage.   guess i could go over and get it.  is this a party?  many buells show?
if so may put off other bike a day.  problem is without bike running i have to get ride to get buell.
let me know

4DWUDS

March 01, 2009, 07:49:12 AM #7 Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:19:18 PM by 4DWUDS
Never been yet, but I would guess it's like our AZ HTT get togethers. You buy, I drink.  :hyst:...... Works for me. See ya there tomorrow night, Yea , where did the month go. I will be on my Psycoloony. I edited the address so it is correct.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.