May 02, 2024, 01:33:24 PM

News:

shovelhead cylinder size

Started by stroker800, January 26, 2009, 05:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stroker800

What is the largest (bore) shovel cylinder on the market.....I think I want to build a monster,,,already 4 3/4 stroke and S&S cases...Any and all info ,,but no junk listed please..
Dave

shovelbill

the biggest, 'off the shelf' one i know of is 108"..........http://www.axtellsales.com/

hyperformance will make anything you want, pretty sure axtell will also.....
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Hillside Motorcycle

4 3/4", 3 13/16"=108".(Our AHDRA Mod bike was 108", 167 hp,144 ft/lbs, class limit back in the day) Go to a 5" arm and you'll see 114". Keep the welder and loctite close at hand.
This is with the OE cylinder bolt pattern, standard case deck height.
Raised deck cases can take you into where ever your wallet will allow.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

randallwhitman

I have an Axtell big bore shovel that is 3 13/16" bore X 4 1/2" stroke.  Be aware that your heads will have to be "tapped" with an external oil drain line to return the valve train oil to the cases.  The bore is too big to use the usual through the jugs oil return hole.  Also, the heads will have to be machined to accept the wider "fire ring".  The Axtell product is very first class.....ductile iron, not cast iron like SnS or stock.  Their jugs make the other stuff look like old frying pans.  I'm also fairly sure that the Axtell barrels are as big as you can go with actual "shovel heads".  Go for it......great power.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX