April 28, 2024, 08:48:51 AM

News:

front rocker box leak

Started by 01 sporty, May 14, 2012, 06:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

01 sporty

I am having trouble with my front rocker box leaking oil I have changed the gaskets 4 time and also replaced top end covers thinking that they might be warped, it stops leaking for a couple of days then starts leaking again, and it's only the front. I have no way to change the rocker arms for I do not have the right tools for that, that is the only one I have not changed.Would like some in site on this matter. Thankx  01 sporty

hdbikedoc

:scratch:  is the oil evacuating from the box to the bottom end ,maybe the return hole is plugged?
where is the leak be specific please
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

andyxlh

Have a look in the workshop manual; it has a really good color diagram showing the oil route through the engine. It might be blocked - is the oil pooling in the rocker box when it starts leaking? I'd be concerned tho if there was something big enough floating around the engine to block that an oil leak might be your smallest problem. I believe the later ones have a 'butterfly' rubber valve on the middle rocker box which may be missing - can someone confirm that?
A good guess would be a warped rocker box. If you have not removed the rockers then you have not changed the bottom box. You might not need to. I have found that the oil school cork rocker box gaskets seems to seal better than the rubber ones, but are ruined of you take the boxes off, you can only use them the once (I know that's true of them all but the rubber ones are a bit more forgiving). You could take the boxes you can get off and check them on a plane of flat glass for flatness. If they are warped you can tape a piece of sandpaper to the glass and rub the box on it to level it, then try the cork gaskets. Also check the bolts holdign the bottom rocker box to the top of the head are not loose - very unlikey but worth a check
If that doesn't fit it I'd be taking that bottom box off and having a look see.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

01 sporty

Quote from: hdbikedoc on May 15, 2012, 07:11:24 PM
:scratch:  is the oil evacuating from the box to the bottom end ,maybe the return hole is plugged?
where is the leak be specific please
The leak is coming out of the front of the box it sprays all over the front and the left side of my bike

01 sporty

Quote from: andyxlh on May 16, 2012, 04:30:31 AM
Have a look in the workshop manual; it has a really good color diagram showing the oil route through the engine. It might be blocked - is the oil pooling in the rocker box when it starts leaking? I'd be concerned tho if there was something big enough floating around the engine to block that an oil leak might be your smallest problem. I believe the later ones have a 'butterfly' rubber valve on the middle rocker box which may be missing - can someone confirm that?
A good guess would be a warped rocker box. If you have not removed the rockers then you have not changed the bottom box. You might not need to. I have found that the oil school cork rocker box gaskets seems to seal better than the rubber ones, but are ruined of you take the boxes off, you can only use them the once (I know that's true of them all but the rubber ones are a bit more forgiving). You could take the boxes you can get off and check them on a plane of flat glass for flatness. If they are warped you can tape a piece of sandpaper to the glass and rub the box on it to level it, then try the cork gaskets. Also check the bolts holdign the bottom rocker box to the top of the head are not loose - very unlikey but worth a check
If that doesn't fit it I'd be taking that bottom box off and having a look see.
I will do that today and see ty

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.