May 02, 2024, 07:09:54 AM

News:

Small amount of play in rear caliper?

Started by jerite, January 27, 2009, 05:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerite

hey all-
I noticed the other day that there is a slight amount of play in my rear caliper. Everything is tight and put back together properly. I never paid no attention to that before disassembly(my bad), it is very minimal at that but still not rigid. Anyone else notice this? I have not bled my rear brakes yet, so this set up is not totally back to normal, dont know if that would make the difference. Any feedback would be helpful.
Thanx in advance.....
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

byob

Side-to-side is probably normal for just being assembled. You may also consider installing the support spring sold by several vendors.
The bracket is under the axle and the spring supports the caliper, countering the lower caliper pin's predisposition to riding on the
rotor.

Hybredhog

Ahh, the good old days when a banana caliper had at least a 1/2" of flop & still worked, KIND OF! :hyst:  Catch it with a spring support early, and you may see 40k out of it...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

randallwhitman

It's SUPPOSED to flop around.  It's a floating caliper, as opposed to a floating rotor.  Does the same thing actually.....reduces pulsing of the brake.....just more noise when it's the caliper floating.  Like others said.....buy the support spring.....reduces the rattling noise and extends the caliper life.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX