May 09, 2024, 03:04:58 AM

News:

Another Lift Installation

Started by Coyote, May 16, 2012, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

My lift is in a barn shared with horses, cats, hay, and dust. I do have small fridge for beverages and a blower stolen from a furnace for air circulation when it gets hot.

I am feeling inadequate. Time for a blue pill.   :cry:

Seriously that looks great, nice work!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

calif phil

Great job guys.   It looks fantastic. 

FLTRI

More wood!! :doh:
This is embarrassing!! :embarrassed:
Nice! Nice! Nice!
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Steve Cole

Quote from: FLTRI on May 18, 2012, 08:21:20 AM
More wood!! :doh:
This is embarrassing!! :embarrassed:
Nice! Nice! Nice!
Bob

Coyote

The above quote is Bob's way of asking when you coming to his house for another install?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Durwood

That is cool,you guys do great work!!

Coyote

Quote from: Coyote on May 16, 2012, 07:56:28 PM

Well as bad luck would have it, I had a rear tire change this afternoon. I say bad because the lady was going home and got just on the freeway and her bike shut down. I drove out to check on her and found her Maxi Fuse blown. I tried another but it blew too. So, of course, she figures it was something I did.   :doh:

The bike is on it's way back to me later tonight. We'll see.....    :banghead:

Found the short in her bike today. Nothing to do with my tire change... but I felt like I had to vindicate myself. The ACCY wire from the ignition switch back to the fuse block was rubbed through and shorting to the oil bag. Fixed it.... Whadya gonna do?  :nix:

Durwood

Quote from: Coyote on May 18, 2012, 06:32:18 PM
Quote from: Coyote on May 16, 2012, 07:56:28 PM

Well as bad luck would have it, I had a rear tire change this afternoon. I say bad because the lady was going home and got just on the freeway and her bike shut down. I drove out to check on her and found her Maxi Fuse blown. I tried another but it blew too. So, of course, she figures it was something I did.   :doh:

The bike is on it's way back to me later tonight. We'll see.....    :banghead:

Found the short in her bike today. Nothing to do with my tire change... but I felt like I had to vindicate myself. The ACCY wire from the ignition switch back to the fuse block was rubbed through and shorting to the oil bag. Fixed it.... Whadya gonna do?  :nix:
In the automotive world we call those,"sinceyall's" Since ya'll worked on my car...

FLTRI

Quote from: Coyote on May 18, 2012, 06:32:18 PM
Well as bad luck would have it, I had a rear tire change this afternoon. I say bad because the lady was going home and got just on the freeway and her bike shut down.

Found the short in her bike today. Nothing to do with my tire change... but I felt like I had to vindicate myself. The ACCY wire from the ignition switch back to the fuse block was rubbed through and shorting to the oil bag. Fixed it.... Whadya gonna do? :nix:
Welcome to the retail auto/motorcycle repair business? :emoGroan:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Hybredhog

Nice Job, fortunatly your lift goes high enough to compensate for the hole depth. For ground seepage, you could line the hole with Aqua seal, what you use for shower stalls. As for small parts find the "black Hole", if its up, go fishing. If its at ground level, maybe use rubber "T" molding glued/rivited to the lift to seal the edges when its down for sweeping & such?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

eglideic

I seen a guy that had a pneumatic cylinder cemented into his garage floor and he had a carriage on it that would adjust to the frame of the bike.
So you drove over it, attached the air hose control and up you went.
It worked great for doing tires and wheels.

Ken R

Very nice job.  Makes mine look like a rough prototype.  I just cut, dug, and poured the base after tying it all together with rebar into the sides of the hole. 

I see you have a nice tire changing machine, too. 
You should be a very popular guy in your motorcycle community now.   :potstir:

Ken

Coyote

May 19, 2012, 09:23:07 PM #36 Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:26:49 PM by Coyote
Thanks Ken. The K&L with the Strong Arm is the cat's meow. The arm does all the work. I just press the peddles and the arm does the rest... follows the tire as it turns.  :up:

[smg id=946 type=preview align=left width=640 "]

Ken R

I thought about remoting the pneumatic control for my lift when I recessed it into the floor of the garage.  Decided against it.   If the lift every started up while the motorcycle was on its sidestand, it would be a catastrophe.  So my lift's foot control is set into the lift table itself where it's unlikely to inadvertently get pushed to RAISE without me being right there next to the left side of the motorcycle. 

My lift appears to be more narrow than yours so that the sidestand is on the table with the motorcycle centered.

I use this front wheel chock:

http://www.wheeldock.com/?gclid=CPbv88-EjrACFQFeTAodUVqKog

It is somewhat quick disconnect with cap screws in slotted holes.

Ken

Coyote

My remote/control is hydraulic/electronic, not pneumatic. My lift control is on the pillar next to the lift. There is no chance of accidental activation. I actually bought a wheel clamp similar to yours however I did not trust it. Ended up using a Handy wheel clamp that was tried and true.  I have no desire to remove my clamp but I am looking at a powered option to remotely open and close the clamp. That would be nice when riding the bike onto the lift.  :nix:

TweekmyTwin

some people have it all... or want...lol
Kiss What ?

Coyote

Quote from: TweekmyTwin on May 19, 2012, 09:51:00 PM

If I figure it out, you're gonna want it too.  :bike:

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Coyote on May 19, 2012, 09:41:03 PM
My remote/control is hydraulic/electronic, not pneumatic. My lift control is on the pillar next to the lift. There is no chance of accidental activation. I actually bought a wheel clamp similar to yours however I did not trust it. Ended up using a Handy wheel clamp that was tried and true.  I have no desire to remove my clamp but I am looking at a powered option to remotely open and close the clamp. That would be nice when riding the bike onto the lift.  :nix:

Yah know Kieth, that would be cool..

Max

TweekmyTwin

Quote from: Coyote on May 19, 2012, 09:53:49 PM

You got that right..!
Kiss What ?

Billy

QuoteI am looking at a powered option to remotely open and close the clamp.

Is this something you're fabbing or is it commercially available?
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

mayor

man do I like that set up!  :up:  If I do something similar, I might just have room in my garage for a lift afterall.    :smiled:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Coyote

Quote from: Billy on May 20, 2012, 07:54:53 AM
QuoteI am looking at a powered option to remotely open and close the clamp.

Is this something you're fabbing or is it commercially available?

We would have to fab it. The remote (key fob) control is no problem. It's finding the right small motor and gear down. Also, the screw that moves the clamp is a reverse thread. We already have power under the lift.

TweekmyTwin

Mike... all we need is good food, expensive 18yr single malt scotch and we're there buddy!
Kiss What ?

Billy

QuoteIt's finding the right small motor and gear down. Also, the screw that moves the clamp is a reverse thread. We already have power under the lift.

The reverse thread shouldn't be an obstacle, you're gonna want to turn it both ways, yes?

You may want to consider a pneumatic cylinder with a two way valve connected to the moveable jaw on a linear slide bearing, a 3" bore with a 4" stroke should do it.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

JohnCA58

Quote from: Coyote on May 19, 2012, 09:53:49 PM

Don't forget me,  I want one too  :cry:
YOLO