May 09, 2024, 12:44:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another Lift Installation

Started by Coyote, May 16, 2012, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

May 16, 2012, 01:10:36 PM Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:53:48 PM by Coyote
After we got TweekmyTwin's lift installation done, we started on mine. Here are a few photos of the process.

First was to mark the floor where the concrete needed to be cut. Having just done Jim's, building the form was pretty fast.

I hired a cutting company to come take the concrete out.

Jim helped keep the mess down while he was cutting

The guy did a great job cutting all the way through. The concrete floor came up with a pry bar.

I was also pretty sure my ground beneath would require a jack hammer to remove. 

And it did. It took 3 of us about an hour and a half to dig out the pit.

Then it was time to get a conduit from the pit over to the pillar where I had electricity and wanted my control mounted.

Once the conduit was in, we set the form with rebar.

Here the floor has been patched over by the pole and the tile cleaned up. We're ready for concrete.

I used one of those mix on site trucks. They're very cool as there is no waste and you get exactly what you need.

Jim doing the finish work.

The finished pour.

After the concrete dried, we set the lift in and I repaired the tile floor. A big thanks to Jim for all his help on this project.

TweekmyTwin

May 16, 2012, 01:54:46 PM #1 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:40:41 PM by TweekmyTwin
Mine is longer....and thicker ( the concrete ) get your minds out of the gutter :hyst: :hyst: It was a fun 2 projects.
Kiss What ?

War Horse

Just wondering , how ya gonna run the floor buffer with that wheel clamp in the way  :scratch:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

acbacb

Very nice. I appreciate the chronological order of the pix. Bet she'll work like a charm.
2012 FLHX Street Glide

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Nooter99

We need one more pic, bike up on the lift! Very nice work.  :wink:
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

You can't hide money..... Looks very nice
Tom

TweekmyTwin

Quote from: 00FLHTCUI on May 16, 2012, 03:45:03 PM
He tries :hyst: just not in his shop. In a month or so he will probably have a ductless a/c - heat system ... just saying.
Kiss What ?

Coyote

May 16, 2012, 07:56:28 PM #8 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:58:29 PM by Coyote
Quote from: Nooter99 on May 16, 2012, 03:33:20 PM
We need one more pic, bike up on the lift! Very nice work.  :wink:

Well as bad luck would have it, I had a rear tire change this afternoon. I say bad because the lady was going home and got just on the freeway and her bike shut down. I drove out to check on her and found her Maxi Fuse blown. I tried another but it blew too. So, of course, she figures it was something I did.   :doh:

The bike is on it's way back to me later tonight. We'll see.....    :banghead:

Quote from: TweekmyTwin on May 16, 2012, 05:32:13 PM
He tries :hyst: just not in his shop. In a month or so he will probably have a ductless a/c - heat system ... just saying.

I needed the A/C today.  :embarrassed:

PoorUB

Quote from: TweekmyTwin on May 16, 2012, 05:32:13 PM

No AC in the garage? Barabarians!
I thought everyone had AC in thier garage!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

JohnCA58

:up:  very nice Keith,  LOL don't wait to long  for the AC/Heater unit.   
YOLO

Admiral Akbar

I see you rebared the sides.. What did you do to the bottom. 4 inch mesh?

Looks good..

Max

HV

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

sporty88

really nice...you guys did a real professional job... :up:

FSG

Quote....  What did you do to the bottom. 4 inch mesh? ....
I was going to ask the same question.  Looks to me like nothing, perhaps K figures nothing is needed as a Jack-hammer was needed to break out the dirt.   :wink:

Coyote

Yes, not much on the bottom. We did throw in some scrap metal and left over bar. Just wasn't in the photos. Mine is sitting on almost solid rock.

mrmike

Very nice job!

Well thought out.

Max a small pad like that with as little weight as it's going to see mesh or bar would really not be needed though if you have it around why not toss it in,lol.

The only issue I could see developing with these set-ups would be ground water finding it's way into the pit, it's amazing how a dry area suddenly ends up with a water problem once you disturb the site.

Course the other option would be to set the form on the exsisting floor and raise the floor to meet it though that method usually meens a tad more concrete, LOL!

Best of luck guys, and yes I am jealous, I've built 24'x40' Garage Mahals, heated full baths and one with a 12' sliding glass door to the inground pool patio, come to my place and I've got a 12'x12' shed full of kids bikes, yeah I'm an idiot.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Admiral Akbar

QuoteMax a small pad like that with as little weight as it's going to see mesh or bar would really not be needed though if you have it around why not toss it in,lol.

If the ground is hard it probably not an issue. Especially of the slab is sitting eventually on the hard ground.  As you say there is not much weight on it.. Probably at the 4 corners where the lift sits..That's it.  It would be nice to make the wheel chocks quick release so you can use the area for a car or even as a place to store something big.. It does look like a bit of a magnet for small parts that get dropped tho..  :wink: 
Still I like it.. Very cool setup..

Max

TweekmyTwin

Ground water is a problem for me since I'm next to the river, but I have that covered.. I think :scratch: But Coyote live up on a hill and granite is his dirt and part or his foundation. I did core bored my concrete and 4" into the dirt...  watched it over the winter and during high river level, it got moist but never filled with water. :up: I've been in construction most of my life and stayed at a few Holiday Inn Express... I hope my gazenta's are right... :hyst:
Bruce- the quick release wheel vise is in the works... the wheel in my  squirel cage is always running at half speed.
Kiss What ?

TXChop

Awesome work!. I am jealous, but i move my lifts around too much to mount permanently...

Does the height different being in the pit bother anyone? I know the K+L's go up pretty high compared to my handy.

FSG

Quote......  Mine is sitting on almost solid rock.
:up:  nice

War Horse

Yep , heres your next project, if you decide to take on this mission , I will be coming for a visit with beverages in hand  :wink:

Million Dollar Rooms 106 Subterranean Garage
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: TweekmyTwin on May 17, 2012, 09:52:19 AM
Ground water is a problem for me since I'm next to the river, but I have that covered.. I think :scratch: But Coyote live up on a hill and granite is his dirt and part or his foundation. I did core bored my concrete and 4" into the dirt...  watched it over the winter and during high river level, it got moist but never filled with water. :up: I've been in construction most of my life and stayed at a few Holiday Inn Express... I hope my gazenta's are right... :hyst:
Bruce- the quick release wheel vise is in the works... the wheel in my  squirel cage is always running at half speed.

The only thing I know about wet cement is to stay away from it..  :wink:

Bruce

glens

Quote from: Max Headflow on May 17, 2012, 04:51:28 PM
The only thing I know about wet cement is to stay away from it..  :wink:

There's only two things to know about concrete.  It gets hard and it cracks.

Panzer

Nice project, well done Jim & Coy. :up:
Now both of you will have sore arms patting each other on the backs.
Can you say 'craftsmanship'? :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.