April 27, 2024, 01:22:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

O T Phoenix az

Started by Mrbill7788, January 27, 2009, 07:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrbill7788

Thinking about relocating.  Would like info about area and economy.   Thanks  Bill & Jeanne

harborjohn

Only second to Vegas in forclosures. Thats gotta tell you something.

panhead_dan

I have not been to phoenix in a long time but I can tell you this, basically little has changed since they named the place phoenix.  The economy there can be very good for several years and then it just falls on its face.  It can go quite a while before it picks back up.

HIPPO

Depends what you do and where in Phoenix.

Visit in July or August to see if you can take it, the rest of the time it's great weatherwise.

Memnar

Why Phoenix? There are a lot of neat places to live out west here, what is it your looking for?

Erik
Albuquerque, NM.

Mrbill7788

Eric,
We are looking to semi-retire to a warm dry climate.   We are open to different areas, does not have to be Phoenix.  We like Scottdale.  Any suggestions??  Thanks.

Garry in AZ

Been here since 1994. The climate is great if you can handle a few months of seriously intense heat. Like Hippo said, visit in July or August to see if you can stand it. Some people really can't. It is often still 100 degrees at midnight.

Right now the economy is in the toilet, housing prices are way down, and lots of businesses are struggling or closing. Jobs are scarce. I'm not holding my breath for a significant improvement any time soon.

If you don't need a job, and the climate is the main thing, it's a great place to be. Scottsdale is one of the more expensive communities, but there are a lot of other suburbs that are good places to live, and right now housing is a buyers market. I'd check out Mesa, Tempe, Gilbert, and Chandler. Thousands of homes for sale all over the valley, most at prices 30% lower than they were 2 years ago. Tuscon is cheaper still, and still warm and dry.

Good luck!  Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

Joncin

Phoenix is the armpit of the earth, tell all your friends.  :teeth:

I've been here since 1981 and will retire here. Phoenix is no different than any other major city in that jobs are hard to come by in certain sectors, but there are still millions of people working here. Housing is a real bargain right now if you're looking to buy.

Yeah, the heat can be brutal, but just like anywhere else, people go from their air-conditioned houses to their air-conditioned cars, to their air-conditioned offices when it's hot outside. I work outside all year round and it does take some getting used to, but it is tolerable if you take steps to protect yourself.

I moved out here from the midwest, so the big difference for me is the ability to get out of the 110* heat within several hours and freeze my ass off in the mountains. Couldn't do that when I lived in St Louis.  :teeth:

road-dawgs1

I visited in July....pics attached :teeth:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

HroadhogD1

Well Road-Dawgs, it don't look like you had to run to any air conditioner.