April 28, 2024, 09:46:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My dealer called me.......wow !!!

Started by Panzer, January 27, 2009, 08:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

January 27, 2009, 08:08:06 AM Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:36:43 AM by Panzer
Last night, I had a call from the service manager of my dealership.
The wife answered the phone and the gentleman asked for me personally.....wow.
Handing me the phone, he said that they are running a promotion (knowing I own a Sportster) that if I trade in my Sportster on new, I can upgrade to a bigger bike a year later......yaddy...yaddy....yaddy.
You know how it goes.
They remodeled the place and will have an open house next week.
I didn't tell him yes or no, but that I'll be there to see the new showroom.

Man, the economy must be hitting the dealers too, when they give you a call at 7 pm at night.....wow.....trickling down.

Hey, they have food at the open house too & popcorn.  LOL, LOL   I'm there!!  But not for a new bike.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

RK101

January 27, 2009, 09:36:19 AM #1 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:41:47 AM by RK101
WOW is right . If your local dealer is like mine,Two years ago they didn't know my name, now we're like long lost buds. Or so he likes to pretend. LOL
Yea my local dealer all of a sudden has been taking a look at my bike telling me nows the time to move on up to a new one. Now's the time for who? I just smile in his face and play along. I guess he doesn't know that he can't sell me a better more reliable RK then I already have. Much less one that doesn't have a payment book attached to it. He's got a better chance of selling snow balls to and eskimo.
If Harley is relying on me to help keeps there doors open by buying a new bike. They should have closed there doors in 04.
There will be no more new bikes.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

GlockRocket34

Must be something in the MoCo kool-aid the dealers drink.
My dealer called a couple of weeks ago... same song and dance. Buy a new bike now...When I went in, to buy a set of mirrors for my 02 FXST (carbed) with the gift card my wife gave me, I found out they cancelled their 10% -off preferred customer program. Now, they want their loyal customers to 'purchase' the same card for a nominal amount, then earn points toward up to a 10% discount (yeah, @ the $4000 point level). Yeah, that'll stimulate the economy.  :sink:
The ol' bike looks and runs better each day.

Jeff    GlockRocket34
Jeff    GlockRocket34

HDRDR

I got a e-mail like some of you folks probably did saying you can buy a Sporty and trade it in for a bike and get MSRP for a larger bike in 12 months :emsad: That only tells me there is a lot of profit in these bikes to do that!

Like we never knew anyway huh? :dgust:

Panzer

Profit, damn, the're making a profit??  :dgust:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

highlander

Yep, it's a MOCO PROMO, I get emails from 6 different dealers and they all sent the same email about the trade up.
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

HDRDR

Quote from: Panzer on January 27, 2009, 06:43:01 PM
Profit, damn, the're making a profit??  :dgust:

I know they need to make a profit :dgust: but why didn't they give this type of things years ago? I know why and so do you! Greed :beer:

Ken R

Two years ago a friend of mine won a brand new 50th anniversary Sportster at the HD dealership.   Yep, won a Sportster. 

She took it back to the dealer a couple of weeks ago (with 20K+ miles on it) and got full list price trade-in value for a new '09 Softtail Deluxe.  Dickering a little bit and got significantly below MSRP on the Deluxe. 

Yep, they're'a dealin'   If you're in business, you make hay while the sun is shining and do what ya gotta do when it isn't.

Ken

Molly

My dealer rang me today too but only to say I couldn't have the deal I wanted on a V-Rod.

Doesn't look like they're dealin' here yet. Give it six months.

Princess Butt

Get used to it. They'll be stalking us pretty soon.

Went to a dealer who had a coupon for 25% off a single item sale. The place was dead. Like, very spooky dead. Nobody around. Not a soul.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

02roadcling

>>> The place was dead. Like, very spooky dead. Nobody around. Not a soul. <<<

Did you remember to turn off the lights and lock the door on your way out?
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

ULTRADOG

mine called also told me he had a deal for me an older gentelman bought an 08 roadglide and dropped it in his driveway no real damage except for the front fender a couple of scratches here and there bike has 1,000 miles on the clock says 16,000 and its mine i asked what he thought i might get for my 01 ultra with a bunch of miles on it winds up 11,000 for mine so 5,000 and my old bike then its hey wait dont you want to turn in that ins. claim looks like 4,500 worth of damage [still thinking about that one] but life is good sometimes youre the bug sometimes youre the windsheild
:pop: :teeth:
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

HyperDetroit

Hey, they aren't exempt from the laws of the economics, and I can't fault them for trying to increase business.  However, I don't think eliminating 10% discount on parts is the way to do this, especially with the mail order so widely available.  Got to wonder how these clowns have made it that far when they decide to increase revenue by raising prices.
I guess now is the good time to buy if you're in the market for a new bike.  However, I still think some dealers definitely need some further humbling before I'd spend a dime in their stores.
Всё в руках божьих

Ken R

I'd buy more parts from my local dealer, except that they tack on an additional 10% to 20% on parts above nationally-published prices.  On top of that, I have to pay 8-1/4% tax.  That means up to a 30-40% discount less tax to buy mail-order. 

It's their business and they can run it however they wish.  I just hope HD stays in business so parts remain available.  No business is too big to fail.  I'm keeping my '02 for the duration.

Ken

Quote from: HyperDetroit on January 28, 2009, 12:58:12 PM
Hey, they aren't exempt from the laws of the economics, and I can't fault them for trying to increase business.  However, I don't think eliminating 10% discount on parts is the way to do this, especially with the mail order so widely available.  Got to wonder how these clowns have made it that far when they decide to increase revenue by raising prices.
I guess now is the good time to buy if you're in the market for a new bike.  However, I still think some dealers definitely need some further humbling before I'd spend a dime in their stores.

V24me

Panzer,
man I love the way you write.  You have a way of cracking me up even when the subject is serious.  I picture you writing with James Dean messed up hair and a little devilish smirk on your face.  Keep up the posts.

Remember years ago with the waiting lists.  My dealer used to act like I should be paying a cover charge just to come in and drewl
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Panzer

Thanks V24me,
I try, even with a smirk/grin.
Put it this way, If you can't take time to laugh, simply give up.

I have to cool it for awhile, I've been sent to the wood shed again.
I get in trouble without even trying......hard.
Sometimes I have company in there.  :smilep:

Thanks for the compliment.
Panzer