April 28, 2024, 02:07:44 AM

News:

Hubless Monster

Started by charley992002, January 27, 2009, 08:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charley992002

Charley, N. Texas

Norton Commando

Technically speaking, that's quite an accomplishment!
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

CrazyRay

A buddy of mine is rebuilding his totaled Springer Softail and want to use this hubless wheel. The manufacturer will not release it yet because it is not proven safe or reliable for continuous on the road. He is still waiting on it. My advice was to move on because I don't ever see it being reliable or safe. It is cool though.  :smiled:

Old Crow

Heh, that exact same bike, spikes and all is sitting at the Art of the Chopper exhibit at the Clinton Library in Little Rock, AR as I type. 
Spent quite a while checking it out.  Not my style bike, but interesting engineering none the less.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Sonny S.

Billy Lane built one in 2002 I saw it at Daytona. I think he just did the rear though.

stroker800

His name is Mike Brown (I believe)..he is a frame builder from the 70s..He is a gun totin preacher,,His big accomplishment was the savior frame,,,A rigid design with the axle riding on a spring....He has bragged that he invented the hubless wheel years ago and Billy Lane had stole the idea,,,,whether there is any truth to it who knows ,,,Billy was the 1st one to build it,,,its basically an oversized bearing with a tire on the outside race and bracket of sorts attached to the inner race mounted to frame.....not bashin anyones work but once you see it ,,,,,"oh thats how it works"...No matter where you look there are some is some great builders out there,,,famous or not.
Dave

HroadhogD1

I saw the one Billy Lane did on TV.  Seemed to work good.

Phu Cat

Too much horsepower is almost enough.

04glide

I saw a show with Billy lane a few years back. His hubless bike was throwing grease all over the place. It was far from perfect.