May 08, 2024, 01:48:03 PM

News:

Cut Fender Struts, Need Ideas

Started by War Horse, May 22, 2012, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

I had to do it , but I come to my Pals  :teeth: for some ideas to cover, plug or cap the ends.

I cut off 2 3/4" to fit fender shape, the open end OD is 1 1/8" X 3/4".

I cant run lights for softies cause those would also stick out past the fender curve , I'm kinda  :scratch:

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Tsani

Cut the cornes so you can bend the top and bottom in, fill with weld, grind round. Rechrome, powercoat or paint. Done.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

War Horse

Thats what I had in mind, as you see the marker line for the radius I had on it, but, um , its not my bike and this thing has already consumed the national dept.

Thers gotta be some doodad to pretty it up.

Tsani

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

FSG

Their name will come to me but someone makes a nice little indicator that fits over and hugs the the end of the strut, they look good and may suit what you've done.

War Horse

Tsani, Nope, they're brand new, the chrome is good, but you know the chrome will peel after time at the cut. Just need some kind of an end cap for now.

FSG, let me know when you think of it.

FSG

War Horse

Thanks FSG, those might be an option but may bring it out past the fender to much. I'll get Karl to look into it. That may be a good alternative and I can wire them for brake lights also.  :up:

Tsani

Long shot, but why don't you try making a plug out of JB weld, then file it into shape? Little Chrome foo foo and your done. Thats about as cheap as I can figure. Just let the JB cure before you work it. F'n stuff is amazing.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

War Horse

That's a good thought, though cheap isn't the main reason, I may have to take a walk through Home Depot and look in the plumbing or kitchen depts.... it doesn't necessarily have to be for a bike.

Breeze

Take a walk through Lowes Hardware section. The aisle with the big blue drawers has all kinds of do-dads and such. Some are even chrome.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

kik

My thought is to get some aluminum bar stock, Maybe from home depot or ace, Use a file or grinder just so it slips inside the strut, maybe put some JB weld on it to hold it in. Aluminum is easy to shape and file., use a wire wheel or emery cloth to smooth it down, Take a shaker can of clear and coat it.

the Grump

I was thinking wood, shape it how you want it, paint it the color of the fender. Silicone or GOOP it in there.

Lew

I'd cut the tips off the 2-3/4" trimmed pieces and weld them on.  Grind smooth, bondo and paint them the same color as the fender.  Would add some custom detail.  Besides..chrome don't get ya home.
                     :scoot:
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

War Horse

If anything can go in as a plug , I would just drill the bottom and run a screw upwards, same with a cover or cap.

Problem with painting the same as the fender is that its a sort of taildragger hugging the tire and will be all black, so to keep the flow going the chrome needs to continue to the back.

I'll try to get some pics in , just havent had the time to put em in PB and resize yet.

War Horse

Ok so heres a preview side shot of where we're heading  :wink:

76shuvlinoff

I have to say you are headed in the right direction.  :up:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

calif phil

It's looking good guys.   I like it!

War Horse

Thanks guys, I just got done firing her up, one push of the button and to life she came  :teeth:  :teeth:  :teeth:

To early for a beer tho.  :emsad: couple more heat cycles and check the clutch, timing and carb setting, thennnnnn  :soda:

abogiant

Make some plugs out of an old tail light install a miniature led bulb inside an have a unique small tail or stoplight

Snuff™

Its a custom bike, why not relocate that rear bolt forward an inch and use the early dynastrutlights?
Just drill, mig you a nut & fender washer inside the fender to relocate forward.

Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!