April 30, 2024, 08:53:03 AM

News:

00 883-1200 conv.

Started by dynaman1, May 24, 2012, 07:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynaman1

May 24, 2012, 07:52:56 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:14:31 PM by dynaman1
Hey guys,been a htt member a long time,but i hang out on twin cam board.Got the ol's top end apart(oil leaks) and figured since i was only a few bolts away ,i'd do a 1200 kit  while i was in there.
Looking at going kb rev dome 10.0's & andrews n2's.This would be with stock 883 heads and pushrods.
The bike already has a breather and exhaust.

Any comments  or suggestions regarding this combo would be appreciated.Looking for good bang for the buck, on the cheap.
Thanks  in advance for your help!!!  Ian.

dynaman1

andyxlh

I have exactly that on my '89 (except that I have the V2 rather than the N2 as my cam cases are different to yours). I have been very happy with the combo, with the pipes and AC done there's lots of grunt.
The first 1200 top end lasted me about 100,000 km, but the the edge of one of the KB pistons started to lift and luckily I caught it before it damaged the rest of the engine. I'd already got another set of KB's but I wasn't happy with the piston damage, and I'd probably have gone with wiseco for the next rebore if i had known. The KB are cast, but the wiseco are forged i believe, and they have a slightly better name for strength and longevity with many people out here in Aus.
The KB runs a really tight piston fit, so make sure whever is doing your rebore knows their stuff. The pistons come with instructions.
If you get a chance flowing the heads is a good idea while you are in there, with some new 883 valves too. Again for longevity, you don't want to have a bad valve seal after all this work in a few thousand miles, and the heads can be really rough cast, although mine were pretty good.
The cams - they will need to be shimmed of course. this is a painstaking job, and they say to put all the shims on the inside near the bearing. I did that the first time, but then ended up being happier shimming on both sides of the cams if i remember rightly, but I don't recall why. Spend the time getting this correct, otherwise it will sound like a bag of bolts. The oem cams on your late bike should be computer fit, so they will be running quieter than the Andrews which are a generic fit, so be prepared for more noise.
If you have lots of miles on the bike I'd throw in some new lifters too. I had one let go at about 120,000km, and the ones in my bike are the same as the BT ones, the late ones are smaller. You can also replace the inner cam bearings but you will need a puller to suit.
Best of luck,
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

u4hd2

The stock 883 heads have small valves, so up to about 4k it will have plenty of torque, but after
4k the power will flaten out due to air flow through the stock heads.
Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer

andyxlh

Yes that's right, However, I've found with an increase in compression from the dished pistons much of this loss is made up. certainly with the cams as well the bike goes very well. Rigid mount sporties are fairly unpleasant after abut 4000rpm also, so the loss is not a major issue.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

dynaman1

Thanks for your input guys.I have the bike back together and about 400 miles on since re-assembly.I went with wiseco forged 9.5 rev dome pistons,and the andrews n2 cams.It runs real nice,and has good power.When you get on it hard it eats up the real estate nicely! I think an ignition upgrade will make quite a difference as well.My 'ol is quite happy with the results...No more leaks and a kick in the pants!
The thing is nice and quiet as well.
One of the things i did was modify the breather to vent to atmosphere.Now i'm going to go and jump in on the other thread about oil in the rocker boxes..
                                Thanks again,Ian.

Panzer

I know he said price was an object, but didn't I hear that some were going over to the Buell heads?
Just asking!!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hillside Motorcycle

If you want it to really roll, Andrews #8 cams, go for the 883-1200 conversion valves, some port work, and use flat tops.
Set the squeeze at 10.5, and you'll need an ignition.
She'll embarrass MUCH larger bikes. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"