May 02, 2024, 02:32:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

08's and 09's ECM HARLEY DOWNLOAD HURTS PERFORMANCE UPGRADES.

Started by NotaFATBOB, January 27, 2009, 03:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotaFATBOB

I have been in touch with Vance and Hines about my ride burning way too rich in my opinion.So i write and tell them what i have 2008 Fat Bob. Stock eng. ArlenNess Big Sucker A/C. Vanve and Hines Short Shot Staggered Exhaust pipes. Vance and Hines FuelPak Ver.12. I read last night on a forum thread here or one more site i go to and it read kind of like this. "All 08 and 09 and so on" Harley has made and has downloaded something to keep us from upgrading our rides to high performance equipment" I do not know where he got that from but.....LOOK at what the VANCE and HINES rep on the FUELPAK wrote to me! Hmmm, looks like they know sumpin :angry: What you folks think? Well it's beer thirty. I have a 08 Fat Bob Dyna FXDF.

Here is the message FuelPak:
"FP-0535" is by no means a rich map, is it possible that your ECM has a
download from Harley?

My answer back to FuelPak rep:

So, did harley put something in the ECMS' On the 08 and 09's and so on that would block and changes for "illegal" parts such as high perfomace pipes, and air cleaners? Since you mentioned that, it went alog with a thread i was reading in harley techs forums. I did not give it much value until now. you basically said the same thing or do i misunderstand what you are say about my ECM?
Maybe i am being too paranoid, but if i gset real lousy mileage this go around, i'll have to change something. Is harley that secretive and sneaky to download somethig to keep us from puting even the slight mods such as i did?
please let me know exactly what you meant by my ECM has a download from harley.
i had it all put on by a local shop that stays busy, great guy, great wrencher, he never mentioned any thing being loaded by harley, not even a stage 1. i'll ask him and see what he says.
I would prefer rich over lean, but i want to have better gas miles vs. my truck. lol. may go back stock or i may be too paranoid i have seen others pipes with a build up of soot, dont get me wrong it gets it, through out all the ranges after i recal mode 19. is this fuelpak suppose to bypass any loads in the stock ECM or is the guy right, harley has hidden something on these models and that would help them sale thier SCREAMING EAGLE products and dynos etc,etc?
Thanks Derek, Terry G.

Blackbaggr

NotaFATBOB

Here is what the modes basically do, but could not get info on each one.

> FP-0535 is by no means a rich map, is it possible that your ECM has a
> download from Harley?
>
> If you look at the map anything set at 0 is factory anything above is adding
> fuel and anything below is taking fuel away, so you can see this map is not
> a very rich map. I recommend removing the Fuelpak to see if you still have a
> rich condition without the Fuelpak installed. It may not be a Fuelpak
> related issue

NotaFATBOB

Woder if setting all the modes to "0" will tell me something? If it keeps doing it, then i will remove it. Tell me what would cause this if the fuelpak is out and i have the same issue?

Steve Cole

I do not know much about a FuelPak but I can tell you the factory ECM will work fine with performance modifications. We have no issues tuning the Factory ECM to work with anything from a stock bike to a 131 cu in engine. If you have an issue it is something other than an ECM issue. I would remove the FuelPak and see how it acts. If you still have an issue then you need to find what is causing it and repair it.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HV

There is nothing in the OEM ECM from HD that blocks or detects any add ons... I have however had more then one issue with the Fuel Packs .....as the others said ...remove it and try another tuner method
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT