May 09, 2024, 11:16:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ignition Module

Started by WhipLash96, May 28, 2012, 12:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

I am curious if an ignition module from a  96 will work on 99? Both 883cc.. Thanks.
Thanks,
Whip

FSG

NO.  The '96 used 32466-95A IGNITION MODULE but in '98 they changed to 32466-98B IGNITION MODULE, INTEGRATED SENSOR.

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

So do the 98 and 99's even use a VOES anymore or are they using a MAP sensor? I have a friend that is trying to help one of his friends out. He is thinking that his ignition mod is bad. The following text is a PM that he sent me from a different site... Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I've been checking ebay also. I've only found one that looks like the right one. But it came off a 1200. U wouldnt happen to know if it'll be the same ignition would u? Let me see what he's looking to spend. I guess his biggest deal is that he's not 100% sure thats the problem. So till he goes and buys another part at dealer cost and not be the problem, then he fucked cause he cant return it. Maybe u can help. It started out backfiring and sputtering like it was running out of gas. he reached down and flipped on reserve and it continued to act up. So he calls me and I tell him thats exactly what my sporty that i had did when the coil went. So that morning he was at HD and got a new one. Put it on and started it up, ran like fuck for about 10 miles then right back at it again. Seems to be when it gets hot and not till about half throttle or so it breaks up. Eventually once it gets real hot then it wont idle or stay running. Cool it down and it seems fine again. Another guy told him.... thats exactly what mine was doing when the regulator took a "Potty mouth". We tested the output and its right where it should be. Also looked over wiring and everything seems tight and secure. He took it to some guy that another friend knew and he had it for a week and told him his carb was all out of wack, charged him $20 and sent him on his way. Of course once it got hot it was right back to it. I told him to pull his timer cover and put a blow dryer on the ignition module and heat it up to see if it changes the bike. He said that it almost immediately starting messing up with the hair dryer on it. So with that testing I believe the ignition is bad and when it gets hot from the engine it causes it to go off timing. Just my thinking and diagnosis. Lets hear ur thoughts. Again thanks for all your help. I need to tell him to get his ass on the computer and join this site.
Thanks,
Whip

PC_Hater

Only the 1200S used a MAP sensor. All other Sportsters still used the VOES up to and including the 2000 models. I suspect they carried on using the VOES up to 2003.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

FLSTN

I just changed out my ign mod on my '99 883, I had same problem and symptoms. Fixed it ($205 at Surdyke).

WhipLash96

Thanks gentleman, we got it worked out. It was the module. :up:
Thanks,
Whip