September 20, 2024, 08:07:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Carb gas leaks and petcock problems

Started by panheaddreamer58, May 29, 2012, 06:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panheaddreamer58

I am going to finally have to tear down original linkert carb on my 50 FL. (leaky)  I got all parts and gaskets, I believe but want to install the aftermarket float I read about here some time back. . Tell me where to get and if any different settings on new float will be needed. Also any tips on fixing carb.
Also while I am on this project, I have a hard time getting original petcock to shut off. Again I think I got all gaskets and seals from NOS but I am wondering about the 'tool' to do the repair. Can it be made or can I do it without it ???? Thanks for all help and comments-- Jim  :soda: :scoot:

Snuff™

May 30, 2012, 09:22:36 AM #1 Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:34:02 AM by Snuff™
I bet your garage smells like fuel.  I got the same problems with my Linkert and original shut-off valve.  I did use an aftermarket float (Rubber Ducky).  Got it from a guy that restores Linkerts at those antique bike shows (AMCA).  I need to adjust the float.  I've thought about installing one of those antique small brass valves in-line to take care of the fuel shut-off. :scratch:

:pop:

Mike's Linkert Services - Mike Millay
262-895-6838
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

fourthgear

Liberty cycles or some thing like that , his name is Cotten & he hangs out at the hydra-glide.net sight & I highly recommend his floats for a linkert.

If you go to that sight & ask where to get his float , he will speak up & ask him any questions you want , he knows linkerts.

jwbull

www.linkertcarbs.com     802-368-7866. they make all there own parts. there float lever is machined not punched and that and there ducky solved all my problems. they will also talk you thru any problem or rebuild it if you want them too. jw

Erichill

I agree with the guy above, install an in line shut off, and don't need to worrry about it.  That's what i have after seemingly forever trying to get mine to seat.
Eric

panheaddreamer58

Thanks guys for all responses. Like to do shut off valve but this bike is pretty well all stock (original) and wouldn't want to alter the stock line. Got hold of linkertcarb.com and yes he was very helpful and full of info. Got new parts (including one of them 'new' floats) and all installed but not on bike yet. Question on float adjustment. Says to set float 1/4" from top of bowel, shouldn't the float also be level? Right now just the end fartest from needle/seat is a 1/4. Now I guess I'll start on gas valve and learn about it without much info. Thanks again and also linkertcarb for great info.  :crash: :soda:  Jim

ElPaso 52

I, too didn't want to cut the steel line when I put on an inline valve. I bought copper tubing and used that. The HD nuts and packing fit and I have no more gas smell.
I read that someone is working on a way to fix the tank shutoffs with PEEK. I am waiting for that so I can go back with no inline valve.
Ron
56FL