May 09, 2024, 11:49:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch gear, OEM 37448-87

Started by xlfan, May 30, 2012, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Is there any known sources for a good aftermarket clutch gear (stock is obsolete) for the 87-90 4-speed Sportsters nowadays?

andyxlh

try this:

http://www.narleychoppers.com/servlet/the-68653/Clutch-Gear-With-Bearing,/Detail

Don't forget to replace the clutch hub at the same time as the splines wear on both - and that wobble you really don't want to be transferred to the magnets in the shell.
I got my clutch shaft from ebay as NOS about 4 years ago, so you can try there too.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

xlfan

Has anyone tried Loctite bearing or bearing sleeve retainer between clutch gear and clutch hub? Is it possible that such chemicals could take up the slack and keep it still?

andyxlh

No idea, but that joint has all the torque from the motor going through it, and so the load would be massive, I'd have thought anything which is going to allow you to get it apart one day (as you will surely need to) is not going to last under such loads and would squidge out. Perhaps an alternative would be to fit the auto primary tensioner as I have which might help take some of the 'whiplash' out of the driveline which might be the cause of some of this wear.
After about 80,000 miles the splines on both of mine were well past their best, but I can live with a change at that mileage...
cheers
A
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble