April 28, 2024, 09:29:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Weird noise/Time to overhaul?

Started by 73ironhead, May 30, 2012, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ironhead

Howdy

being dealing with a tic-tic noise coming from - what seems to be - the bottom left side of the case. If this was a two stroke I would say I messed the bottom end. Being this, my little baby with bulletproof bottom I am trying to get a better diagnosis before I pull the jugs and check the flywheel for up-and-down slack.

I even bought a fancy stethoscope ( $3.99) which is actually very cool on our old bikes - you can actually hear the oil flushing around - but not able to give a specific answer.

Botttom end or not bottom end..?

Power, pull and exhausts are fine. The noise follows rpms.

anyone, anyone...

cheers, lorenzo

Hillside Motorcycle

Check the primary chain adjustment.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

wreck74

Yea, rods and bearings don't tick.

73ironhead

primary chain is fine; I should probably say that the noise is more  a dum dry tac-tac that is pretty audible mostly at mid-range. The lighter noise is at idle and then once the bike is going it even stops the noise.

Are our bottom ends really bullet proof or is that just an alley legend? Is the manual checking of the flywheel up-and down play enough or could it be that with the weight of the torque the rods and bearing act up and ones the bike is travelling, all is good?

Lew

Might pull the primary cover and inspect things in there.  If nothing found might pull the gear cover and check.  I'd do these things before pulling the top end down for a bottom end check.
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

check the pushrod adjustment.Salty

73ironhead

ok, so took the primary off and the slack on the upper part of the chain is about 1 inch and the lower part lightly rubs on the tensioner; the silicon on the tensioner is slightly scarred but for the age of the bike it is quite unbelievably in good shape..I put it in gear and measured again and all is the same. Is 1 inch too much? could this be the reason of the come-and-go knocking. The right adjustment should be 5/8 or half an inch; i will try that.

Thanks salty, I did adjust pushrods a few times before I started worring for real..

thanks..L.