April 27, 2024, 10:34:45 PM

News:

Difference between A & B Lifters

Started by gaillarry, January 28, 2009, 04:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaillarry

Does anyone have pics of the difference between them.  I pulled the lifters and they're in v.g. condition, I suspect they've been changed by the p.o but can't tell if they are A or B.
1992 Heritage Softail Classic
Ontario, Canada

JBarrettB

One way to tell is by the size of the 'shaft' the roller rides on. The A tappet has a .225" shaft while the B has is .325". These measurements are probably not exact as I eyeballed them using a caliper. If they are the A lifters, I'd replace them.

JB   
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

ceduby

The A lifters have a spring wire holding it together while the B lifters have a snap ring. That's what I noticed at first glance when I changed mine out.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

gaillarry

Thanks for all the info, there is definitely a difference in the seating area of the pushrod.  The B is much larger.
1992 Heritage Softail Classic
Ontario, Canada

ClassicRider2002

Reddog.....

Nice post of a photo..... :up:o

So tell me how many choose S&S lifters or another aftermarket type of lifters for their evo engines.....and how long do you leave them in.....My reading says perhaps changing them out at 25,000 miles.....so how long is the recommended length of time to run them.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Reddog74usa

Classic I believe the changing out of lifters are if you have the "A" lifters. The "B"'s are good to go.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT