April 27, 2024, 04:47:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Think my tune is off now?

Started by 06roadglide, June 01, 2012, 06:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06roadglide

Guys...I'm wondering if anyone has experienced what I'm having with my bike, 06 FLTRI

I had to replace the check valve in my fuel tank and while I was in there I went ahead and replace the fuel line from the pump to the filter. (which was still good) Also replaced the fuel line from the tank to the injectors, just in case. 
I know the actual problem was the check valve because it fell apart when I disconnected the coupling so the other parts were just insurance items.

Now the bike is running really rich at times, especially at cold start I get black smoke and have actually fouled 2 sets of plugs trying to start it.  I know how to correct that problem with the TTS but nothing has changed other than the new valve.

Is it possible that when I got it tuned 2-3 years ago that the check valve was starting to fail then and was restricting flow to the injectors?
And now that the valve is replaced it's alowing too much fuel?    :scratch:

N-gin

So it was running ok till you put the new valve in?
Did any small parts fall into the fuelline and maybe get into the injectors  :nix: Its a long shoot.
Check valve at the base of the tank were the feed hose to the injectors go ??? The coupler ???
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

06roadglide

Yep, ran fine until I replaced the valve.  (coupler at base of tank, harley calls it a check valve)

When I went to dealer to get part they said they have seen these fail many of times.   :nix:

Seems to run ok at highway speed and heavy load, actually better at heavy load.    :doh:

No doubt about it now tho, It's gonna have to get tuned again.

Here is my theory on what happened.  The first symptom of this going bad was last summer when I went WOT at high rpm (maybe 5500) the bike just shut down and would not start back up until I disconnected the coupler at base of tank and reconnected it.  Fired back up immediately after that and never happened again until last week.  Again, WOT at high rpm.  Now, WOT at high rpm doesn't happen often for me out of fear of blowing my dipstick out again and just so happens that its likely been since last summer I did it.
So...I'm thinking possibly at WOT, high rpm the demand for fuel was so great that the check valve would somehow close and jam shut???
I don't know for sure, I'm grasping straws at what happened.