May 01, 2024, 04:59:38 PM

News:

Custom Chrome gas tanks

Started by Little Al, January 28, 2009, 07:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Al

I've read a few places about aftermarket gas tanks, their fit, shape, trouble with the fuel valve but I don't recall anything specific about the Custom Chrome one (part # 25568). There are a couple up on eBay right now for $170 but how would you guys rate them? Anybody using one of these?

will the through tank fuel valve fit ok?
tank emblems?
shift gate?
overall shape compared to OEM?

these tanks would be for my '54 FL
Little Al

Pzokes

January 28, 2009, 08:49:34 AM #1 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:51:56 AM by Pzokes
Do you have, or do you know someone with a fuel tank valve alignment tool?  I would suggest that if you don't have the tool, you should buy the tanks from a local shop that has the tool.  You can have the holes in the tank aligned by that shop.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Pynzo

You'll have to buy the emblem and strip mounts and tack weld them on yourself. Do you live near Philadelphia? I've got the alignment tool.

Little Al

oh what a few hours can change. lol

I wound up NOT buying a set off eBay, but I did buy a Custom Chrome tank "Potty mouth" from someone. It was Kreem sealed a few years ago, painted, but never used. I know of the guy I bought it from, he's trustworthy to tell me the truth.

The fuel valve holes will need to be aligned so when the time comes Pynzo, I will call on ya. I should have the tanks in my hand next week sometime. As soon as the weather breaks I'll get in touch and ride down on my Ultra and bring the tank and a six pack. Your probably sick of them (is that even possible?) but I'll bring the Cheesesteaks too! Philly is about 90 minutes ride for me and I ride down about once a month or so on a Saturday or Sunday for an authentic Philly Cheesesteak lunch at Benny's (I think that's their name) a little dump a 1/2 block from Independence Hall. dirty, greasy & cheesy. Damn, now I want one NOW, lol.

Thanks for the offer bro I'll be in touch in a coupla weeks.

Little Al
Little Al

Pynzo

I'll be here- come down on a saturday afternoon- I work over on the U.S.S. New Jersey in the mornings. Hey- bring me a knish! can't get them here! Cheesesteaks everywhere but no really good delis.

Little Al

you got it, New York City street knish!
Little Al

Pzokes

January 29, 2009, 06:05:53 AM #6 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:05:57 AM by Pzokes
The Kreem will peel off in chunks.  It is not compatible with today's gasolines.

Pynzo

Pzokes is right- you'll burn it when you tack weld on your emblem mounts. Switch to POR-15 tank sealer- it's grey to start (looks better and does'nt turn yellow brown with age) and damn near bullet proof, plus it's a rust preventative.

Pzokes

Por-15 has been working OK for me on the East Coast, but I've heard that it is not working good in the "corn belt" (KS,NE, etc.)where they are now using a higher percentage of ethanol.