May 08, 2024, 10:26:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

10% Ethanol, Narrow and Wide Band Tuning

Started by Sporty 48, June 08, 2012, 09:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sporty 48

MAybe it is just a tweak, maybe it requires more thought.  :emoGroan:
The concern is about ethanol in the fuel, here in Maine 10%.
Does ethanol change Stoich by that much that we in ethanol states must tune differently?
Does it change the ideal CLB (sensor voltage, millivolts)?
Certainly a wide band is in my future, should I be thinking sooner vs later considering just ethanol?
A Sportster, Bird-dogs and an old Airstream, How Sweet It Is.

Steve Cole

You need to think of how it works before doing anything. All the O2 sensors are just that O2 sensors NOT AFR sensors. In simple terms:

O2 Sensor= sensor that read oxygen in the exhaust and oxygen in the air and generates a voltage based on those readings.

Narrow Band, Broad Band or Wide Band they are ALL reading oxygen NOT AFR. I think if more people understood this things would be easier. Now once you know the O2 levels you can convert that to a Lambda or AFR reading PROVIDED you know the Stoichiometric value of the fuel being used. So in order for you to use any meter that measures AFR with an O2 sensor of any type you must calibrate that meter to do the conversion to get you to AFR using the proper stoichiometric value. So you first must know the fuel then you must know what the meter was calibrated for.

I hope this makes sense, for your to understand. With all that in mind fuel here in the USA varies the stoichiometric value from ~ 14.4 - 14.68 provided the station moves a fair amount of fuel. Older stations do not have mixers in the under ground tank which allow the fuel to separate. Getting fuel from one of those stations can real screw things up if it's been sitting too long. So yes you do need to tune to the fuel your going to use, but running Closed Loop will cover up for normal variations in the fuel here in the USA.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Sporty 48

Quote from: Steve Cole on June 08, 2012, 10:15:43 AM
You need to think of how it works before doing anything. All the O2 sensors are just that O2 sensors NOT AFR sensors. In simple terms:

O2 Sensor= sensor that read oxygen in the exhaust and oxygen in the air and generates a voltage based on those readings.

Narrow Band, Broad Band or Wide Band they are ALL reading oxygen NOT AFR. I think if more people understood this things would be easier. Now once you know the O2 levels you can convert that to a Lambda or AFR reading PROVIDED you know the Stoichiometric value of the fuel being used. So in order for you to use any meter that measures AFR with an O2 sensor of any type you must calibrate that meter to do the conversion to get you to AFR using the proper stoichiometric value. So you first must know the fuel then you must know what the meter was calibrated for.

I hope this makes sense, for your to understand. With all that in mind fuel here in the USA varies the stoichiometric value from ~ 14.4 - 14.68 provided the station moves a fair amount of fuel. Older stations do not have mixers in the under ground tank which allow the fuel to separate. Getting fuel from one of those stations can real screw things up if it's been sitting too long. So yes you do need to tune to the fuel your going to use, but running Closed Loop will cover up for normal variations in the fuel here in the USA.
Thanks.

The narrow band is off-no oxygen, on-oxygen present, a sensor switch, that I understand. Voltage can change the sensitivity of an oxygen value within a small range.

The widebands, broadbands differ, not sure I understand much more than they indicate at a wider range to measure lambda or AFR. i would imagine that sensor voltage, wideband instrument specifications including calibration and fuel composition are the key variables to acceptable, accurate readings.

Steve Cole

Quote from: Sporty 48 on June 08, 2012, 11:56:05 AM
Quote from: Steve Cole on June 08, 2012, 10:15:43 AM

Thanks.

The narrow band is off-no oxygen, on-oxygen present, a sensor switch, that I understand. Voltage can change the sensitivity of an oxygen value within a small range.

The above statement is completely wrong, thus the reason I am trying to spell it out

The widebands, broadbands differ, not sure I understand much more than they indicate at a wider range to measure lambda or AFR. i would imagine that sensor voltage, wideband instrument specifications including calibration and fuel composition are the key variables to acceptable, accurate readings.

Again, ALL O2 sensors measure oxygen they do NOT switch, they are NOT Off/On devices. The range each works in is different as is the voltage they produce.

Narrow Band = measure in a narrow range of ~ .969 - 1.024 Lambda
Broad Band = measure in a Broad Range of ~ .800 - 1.70 Lambda
Wide Band = measure in a Wide Range of ~ .400 - 25.0 Lambda

Each type sensor has it's own accuracy and so do the gauges that measure them and you have to add them together to really know what the overall accuracy is.

Tsani

No, that is not what Steve said. The ECM considers the O2 Sensor online  or offline  depending on weather or not the voltage is above a certain value. The amount of oxygen within the exhaust sample is what changes the voltage reading to the ECM. It is not a switch per se but more like a gauge that the ECM reads.

From Wikipedia:
The sensor does not actually measure oxygen concentration, but rather the difference between the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas and the amount of oxygen in air. Rich mixture causes an oxygen demand. This demand causes a voltage to build up, due to transportation of oxygen ions through the sensor layer. Lean mixture causes low voltage, since there is an oxygen excess.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Sporty 48

Therefore:
"Broad Band = measure in a Broad Range of ~ .800 - 1.70 Lambda"
Does .80-1.7 lambda = AFR 18.4-8.6?

Steve Cole

The range expressed in AFR varies based on the fuel being used. This is just why I only used Lambda! Do not forget about understanding the sensors total range and the range they are accurate in. These are two different things that are very important.

hrdtail78

Quote from: Sporty 48 on June 08, 2012, 09:39:50 AM
Certainly a wide band is in my future, should I be thinking sooner vs later considering just ethanol?

Let me know the true wideband sensor you look at and purchase.  The DTT stuff that is all the rage and is the "best kept secrete" is only promising +-.5.  The 14.68 the "swingers" are so afraid of, is something they can be getting if they target 14.2. :sheep:

Don't get me wrong.  I am not trying to say Chris is wrong.  +-.5 is all we can expect?  He blames it on the ECM's program.  I'll stick with: this engine design isn't that good.  Maybe that is why DTT calls out 13-14 best cruise.  When it doesn't take a lot of post about you as a tuner to shoot for 14.2 in OL. :doh:
Semper Fi

Sporty 48

Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 08, 2012, 11:24:29 PM
Quote from: Sporty 48 on June 08, 2012, 09:39:50 AM

Let me know the true wideband sensor you look at and purchase.  The DTT stuff that is all the rage and is the "best kept secrete" is only promising +-.5.  The 14.68 the "swingers" are so afraid of, is something they can be getting if they target 14.2. :sheep:

Don't get me wrong.  I am not trying to say Chris is wrong.  +-.5 is all we can expect?  He blames it on the ECM's program.  I'll stick with: this engine design isn't that good.  Maybe that is why DTT calls out 13-14 best cruise.  When it doesn't take a lot of post about you as a tuner to shoot for 14.2 in OL. :doh:
Hrdtail78,
By DTT do you mean: http://www.daytona-sensors.com/WEGO3.html ?
I want to understand what you mean about "swingers," Chris, who?, and "When it doesn't take a lot of post about you as a tuner to shoot for 14.2 in OL." Would you please explain?
As far as tuners, am sticking with TTS Mastertune until i get a second bike, but pretty much decided on Power Vision with the wideband option because thinking turbo.
Currently as a naturally aspirated (NA), with Throttle Position(TPS) tune, the narrow band is enough for me, a TT(Tavern to Tavern) guy.
Cannot complain at all about TTS since it is helping me learn tuning, which is a fun, hugely difficult challenge.
Thanks!

hrdtail78

yes, Daytona twin tech's stuff.  Chris is the man over there.

Just remember that no matter what sensor or tuning device you use.  All have limitations and tolerances.  These need to known and understood.  AND getting a good signal at the sensor is still key.  If you are not getting a good reading at idle because of reversion.  Don't think you are going to put in a broad or wide band in and get good readings.
Semper Fi

Herko

Not sure here either where DTT's stated .5 tolerance is directed.
I have run DTT TS/WEGO, Innovate LC-1, Dynojet stack, all simultaneously in a common manifold with lab test gas(es). These particular three units were within .1 of each other...maybe a bounce of one of them to .2 off but then back again. But never have seen .5 or anything near that. So, IME from actual tests performed here, the tolerance of the affordable DTT TS/WEGO shows to be very accurate.

A point of note, I am pretty anal about maintaining a vigilance for sensor drift and overall condition. A good way to maintain sensor accuracy without lab gas etc, is to simply and regularly put new sensors online in your tuning equipment. If buying cross-referenced sensors from your local auto parts store, avoid buying the sensor(s) that have been to an auto repair shop and back to the parts store for a return. To many unknowns about the true condition of a returned sensor.

BTW, a sensor can check fine on the (subjective IMO) free-air cal but have a drift quotient when put under "load" such as when reading in the 13.0 to 14.0 AFR range for example.

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

hrdtail78

In the twin scan directions. He is blaming the -+\.5. On the Delphi system. Not the sensor.
Semper Fi

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 09, 2012, 09:43:36 AM
yes, Daytona twin tech's stuff.  Chris is the man over there.

If you are not getting a good reading at idle because of reversion.  Don't think you are going to put in a broad or wide band in and get good readings.

Ok, work with me here. As you know my WegoTwinscan is coming so.... Thing is there is reversion and egr in play, that's a given. Now we know each cyl needs a specific ratio to run right whether idle or light load, all the way up. I was hoping to find out which cyl isn't getting what it needs to be optimum with this system and bring the ve's more in sinc for the demands of each.  It's damn close but there's always room for improvement.  If what you are saying is fact, why did I piss more money away on this thing? :banghead: Talk to me. :smilep:
Ron

wurk_truk

June 09, 2012, 05:06:02 PM #13 Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:15:08 PM by wurk_truk
You HAVE to tune out the EGR.  Two ways to accomplish this, IMHO...  One is to try and use the TTS egr tools and see how that works, the other would me an open loop tune where you manually experiment to relieve the issue.  With your pipe and build, I feel it will be advantageous to YOU, Ron, to learn how to manually manipulate the whole system while in open loop.  Then...  you should have a WAY better understanding of how things should work together once I talk you back in trying CL.  Some folks don't realize that you are one smart dude overall.   You DO wear a blinder or two from the 113, and it will be OUR job to get you past that.  If you manually massage the VEs to get rid of most of that EGR effect, you will be able to SEE it with this program, instead of simply praying the TTS did its job.  We WILL see the AFRs settle down and play nice.  THEN... we both will be able to go back to CL and know where issues are, how much EGR to input, etc to clean everything back up.

Sometimes you wanna argue instead of listen, so I spanked you into this, to get that bike of yours 'spot on'.

I just burnt up my Dremel cutting the ribs out of the primary, so quit yur bithchin!

:hyst: :hyst:

Jason, I think Chris is fudging a bit so he has an 'out' when folks bitch at him.  Once we get rolling, I will back up my own readings with the LC1s.
Oh No!

Steve Cole

According to the Bosch specifications for the LSU sensor it will drift based on temperature, pressure and fuel mixture. They supply the proper correction curves with the sensor data to be used to remove the drift but the unit would have to measure these at the exact same time as the reading is being taken. There is a temperature curve and two pressure/mixture curves. If the mixture is <1 Lambda you use one curve and >1 Lambda you use the other curve. So with the proper measurements being taken the sensor output can be corrected so that you meet the Bosch specifications. Don't do the measurements and apply the proper corrections and it's any ones guess as to what your seeing at any one time. I've given the specification documents to Wurk_Truk so he can post them if he likes.

wurk_truk

Thanks Steve.  And... truth be told, I think all of us, even Steve, likes the Innovate products, like the LC1s, because they do NOT cut off the Bosch trimming resistor.  My beef, tho, is I can't get those puppes in a nice data trace to lock down whats happening...  c'mon Steve, get caught up and give us that analog TTS!!! :scoot: :scoot: :hyst: :sheep:
Oh No!

Steve Cole

I like and use units from ECM as they do what they say. Here is a link to a nice portable unit.

http://ecm-co.com/product.asp?lpro This is used for quick checks both here and at HD.

This one is what we and HD use on our DJ dyno's http://ecm-co.com/product.asp?a-djetm
HD is the one that got them to develop this unit

In the calibration lab this one is used http://ecm-co.com/product.asp?5220

hrdtail78

Page 12, step 6.  Also on the page is where they recommend not to it the cumbersome way.

https://www.box.com/s/43c7cd0f1b65adcdc054
Semper Fi

strokerjlk

Quote from: Herko on June 09, 2012, 03:08:12 PM
I have run DTT TS/WEGO, Innovate LC-1, Dynojet stack, all simultaneously in a common manifold with lab test gas(es). These particular three units were within .1 of each other...maybe a bounce of one of them to .2 off but then back again. But never have seen .5 or anything near that. So, IME from actual tests performed here, the tolerance of the affordable DTT TS/WEGO shows to be very accurate.

A point of note, I am pretty anal about maintaining a vigilance for sensor drift and overall condition. A good way to maintain sensor accuracy without lab gas etc, is to simply and regularly put new sensors online in your tuning equipment. If buying cross-referenced sensors from your local auto parts store, avoid buying the sensor(s) that have been to an auto repair shop and back to the parts store for a return. To many unknowns about the true condition of a returned sensor.

BTW, a sensor can check fine on the (subjective IMO) free-air cal but have a drift quotient when put under "load" such as when reading in the 13.0 to 14.0 AFR range for example.

good stuff John. I still have the results.
taking coyote's advice ,so I cant read the BS from the  :soda: mixer and his boys.
but based on what was re quoted and your post it seems there is some doubt.
looks within range to me :up:
F       R
"Firmware ID","Daytona Sensors Twin Scan II Program Rev 2.00 CFS 2007"
"Daytona Sensors Twin Scan II Data Logged","10/26/2010 6:53:10 PM"
"Comment","AFR W. 13.0 CAL GAS"
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

BVHOG

Quote from: strokerjlk on June 10, 2012, 06:07:19 AM
Quote from: Herko on June 09, 2012, 03:08:12 PM

good stuff John. I still have the results.
taking coyote's advice ,so I cant read the BS from the  :soda: mixer and his boys.
but based on what was re quoted and your post it seems there is some doubt.
looks within range to me :up:
F       R
"Daytona Sensors Twin Scan II Data Logged","10/26/2010 6:53:10 PM"
"Comment","AFR W. 13.0 CAL GAS"
Next you will be told how they can no way be accurate because the test was not using them as intended and the temp and pressure are not the same yada yada yada :emoGroan:  I can't wait to see what negative replies we have for this proven accuracy.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Rider57

Looks stable to me. What are the numbers on the cal gas? interested in THC, CO.
107ci, 408b, 10:5:1, Heads by Wes Brown, Thunders.

strokerjlk

"Engine Control System","Fuel Injection with WEGO"
"Data Logging Interval","Baro Pres"
"Elapsed Time","Engine RPM","MAP","TPS","Status Flags","VSS","AFR Command","Front AFR Sensor","Rear AFR Sensor"

skip from 10.56 to 1208.06

"Daytona Sensors Twin Scan II Data Logged","10/26/2010 7:09:35 PM"
"Comment","IR 0.87 CAL GAS"
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

lonewolf

Am I seeing that data right that it is all at 0 rpm?

hrdtail78

"this proven accuracy"

Proof that the sensor is accruate.  I'm not and can't touch Herko's test.  Why would Chris state a .5+- accruacy of the delphi system?  Maybe sensor placement, maybe style of the vtwin........  It can be a number of things. What I would like to get down to is:  with the things we have at our disposal.  Whats the best way to go about things.  We, as tuners, can only work with what we got.  The twin scan kit is great, but has some linitation and with it needs to have those limitations addressed when using it for tuning.  Just like every other tool you use for a job. 
Semper Fi

Steve Cole

Quote from: BVHOG on June 10, 2012, 06:54:28 AMNext you will be told how they can no way be accurate because the test was not using them as intended and the temp and pressure are not the same yada yada yada :emoGroan:  I can't wait to see what negative replies we have for this proven accuracy.

First off it looks like a base test and the readings are stable on a gas that we have no information about. No test pressure information, No temperature information and there is very little in the way of anything concerning the test accuracy. It's a good start but in no way would this be considered a test for accuracy by anyone who knows just a little about running testing.

What one can say is on this day with a gas of "X" it read this but the test conditions are unknown as that information was not recorded with any test equipment at the time of the test.