April 27, 2024, 09:14:45 PM

News:

Transmission rebuild

Started by WML57, January 28, 2009, 02:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WML57

I'm doing a total rebuild on my 97 softails transmission. When replacing the closed end bearing that supports the left side countershaft, the service manual does not give any details. Such as how to set the depth the bearing sets in the trans case, and how to push the bearing in. I think I can drive the bearing in since it is a closed end bearing, but would like some advice before I do.
The bearing is part #8977.

Thanks, Mark.

WML57

lasmittys1

If the tranny is in the frame, You could use a socket that is the same size (O.D.) as the bearing. You will drive the bearing from the outside (left side) by the closed end of the bearing. You do not want to drive the bearing in by putting pressure on the dot in the center of the bearing. The part of the socket
that goes on the nut will be to the bearing , the side were the ratchet goes is the side you hit. The hardest part is keeping the bearing square when you start it. Drive it in till flush or a c--- hair above the outside of the case. Don't go below the case. If out of the frame put it in a press using the same method.

WML57

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the case is still in the frame. I had figured on using a socket to drive the bearing in, but wanted to check here first. The original bearing was recessed in the case, but I did not measure before removing, as I figured there would be a spec for the depth in the service manual. I guess what I will do is measure the length of the counter shaft from the inside face of the trap door to determine the depth to set the bearing, making sure it leaves clearance for the shaft without bottoming.

Mark.