April 27, 2024, 09:44:17 PM

News:

cheap saddlebag

Started by coolingfin, January 28, 2009, 04:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolingfin

January 28, 2009, 04:52:52 PM Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:03:58 PM by coolingfin
I'm lookin' for some cheap saddlebags for my 2007 Superglide like maybe Willie & Max Raptor

http://www.willieandmax.com/fam_raptor.html

Do you think the medium sized Raptor will fit 14" wide, 12" tall, 5.5" deep?

Or maybe the larger "mechanic" saddlebag http://www.classiccruiser.com/product.asp?item=69588

Also, can I get by just placing the yoke under the passenger seat without using saddlebag supports or other hardware?

camaro1968

Try jafrum.com they have some really good prices on leather goods. I have bought vests, sissy bar bags, chaps, gloves, and a helmet from them over the past 3 years. When ordering clothes...always order 1 size larger than you would normally, as their clothing runs small...
I have never been disappointed with the quality for the price, and they have a large selection of saddlebags

Panzer

Last year I purchased (also from Jafrum) a set of leather throw over saddle bags.
Had them in the rain, heat and sun, but I keep them looking good with black shoe polish.
Like most leather bags, they start to collapse after a while.....hate that.
I spent 2 nights fabricating "inner" bag supports with copper (I believe 4 gauge) bare wire, soldered together. (easy to solder and no rust)
Now, no more sag/collapse and I'm happy with them.
Approx. cost with shipping was $55.00.  Can't beat that with a stick.   
Good quality too.
I intend to get chaps from them too........an OK company.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

littlefrank

Leather-up is another site similar to jafrum. I've bought items from both sites. I've never had an issue with either site.                                                         http://www.leatherup.com/

littlefrank

Hey Panzer, I bought this set of chaps from Leatherup. Great quality. I just don't have the money to throw down on a Harley set yet.                                     http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-Chaps--pants/Mens-Classic-Braided-Elastic-Fit-Leather-Chaps/47549.html

Panzer

Thanks Frank,
I'll take a look.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

coolingfin

Those are some helpful links to sites with great prices.  Thanks!
Do you think those bags will stay off the rear wheel without supports?
Also, it seems I have only about 12" of clearance between my shock absorber and rear turn signal stalk... that seems smaller than the width of most bags.  Is that dimension on an 07 SuperGlide smaller than most bikes?

Panzer

January 29, 2009, 07:35:23 AM #7 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:38:03 AM by Panzer
Cool,
Try this at    www.jafrum.com     and look up this to see the bags I bought.
18WX13HX6.5D  P/N SD4411 Plain
Even gives you the size.
You can take a look at my pixs w/bags, that I have posted in the "EVO Sportster" section, under the heading of "Show your sporty"
I just checked price at Jafrum and they're running $59.95 for the throw over pair.
I have them mounted on an 07' Sporty.
The shocks hold them away from the fender and tuck in nicely behind the rear turn signals.
Another plus is that both bags have a clip to detach the bags so you can take them inside without removing the seat.
Hope this helps ya.

Panzer

Blazing Saddles

The old line "you get what you pay for" is especially true with saddlebags. There's so much crap on the market it's unreal.
Everything from flap - in- the  - wind super thin vinyl and synthetic leather to super expensive OEM bags that really aren't much better. For my money the best bags I have found that have excellent harness leather, loads of great features and excellent workmanship (made in Stockton, CA) and fair pricing =value are the products from "The Leatherworks". I've had a set of their bags and a tool bag on my bike for 14 years with absolutely no problems and they still look great. Have a look at:  www.leatherworksinc.com

As for putting a set of bags on a bike without proper saddlebag supports - no way!! They need to be properly supported - look at it this way, if you don't want to spend $50.00 on a set of bag supports for your $50.00 bags how good could those bags be??? Riders generally try to put too much stuff into their bags so they need to be properly supported. Also, you should keep a minimum of 1 - 1/2" clearance between your bags and your exhaust.

Blazin'