May 09, 2024, 03:37:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

44 thousand miles on front tire, did I do something wrong???

Started by HarleyFranco, January 28, 2009, 05:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

HarleyFranco

Franco, You mentioned using primarily the rear brake.  Don't be afraid to use that front brake as that brake does the majority of the stopping in a 'have to' situation.  Always good to practice panic stops in a clear area.

PC

Phu,

I used to use the rear brake for most of my stopping, however I now use mainly the front brakes.  Sometimes I have to remember that the rear brake is still there.  lol

Frank

CndUltra88

Quote from: HarleyFranco on January 28, 2009, 05:27:50 PM
I just had the front tire on my 08 Ultra Classic replaced at 44 thousand miles.  Is this unusual?  I certainly think so, never got more than 30 k out of a front tire before.  The tire still had 1/32 of thread left on it, not a lot but it wasn't bald either.  I commute daily to work and ride as much as possible on the weekends riding all sorts of roads, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't baby the bike or the tires. 

Has anyone else gotten this kind of milage out of their stock dunlop tire?

Frank

Frank it is guys like you that are causing the MoCo the financial Trouble they are in ;)
You didn't go to the stealer biweekly and buy the latest and greatest new and improved parts/tires etc..
All teasing/kidding aside, either you had very good luck with your tires or you get them inflated within the specs of the manufacturer. It is always a good thing when one can get the best out of their equipment.
I can only hope that dunlop hasn't changed anything on the latest production run.
Now its off to the stealer and get a set of skins for the Ultra at 25% off.

Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Hoist!

HeHe!!! Yep! You left the same tire on for 44K miles!!! :hyst: :wtf: :teeth:

Hoist! :smiled:
"I just want to be free! Free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!"

BrownsfaninMN

41K on the front on my FLHT, will be changing it before the riding season this year, along with some new floating rotor brakes.  I too have some pretty decent tread still left on the tire, but why wait, do it now.

Hoist!

HeHe!!! Don't know how you guys are doing this! Must not be riding the chit out of it hard enough is all I can think of!!! :teeth: :wink:

"I just want to be free! Free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!"

HarleyFranco

Frank it is guys like you that are causing the MoCo the financial Trouble they are in
You didn't go to the stealer biweekly and buy the latest and greatest new and improved parts/tires etc..
All teasing/kidding aside, either you had very good luck with your tires or you get them inflated within the specs of the manufacturer. It is always a good thing when one can get the best out of their equipment.
I can only hope that dunlop hasn't changed anything on the latest production run.
Now its off to the stealer and get a set of skins for the Ultra at 25% off.

Rob

Hey I never thought about that, if I would have I would have replaced the tire 4 times just to keep those harley people working.  NOT!!

Frank

L-

I used to read this book called Uncle Ripely's Believe It or Not..........

HDRDR

I get good miles out of my tires too, using both breaks at the same time, but nothing like what you have stated. Thats a lot of miles on a bike tire.

Hoist!

I could really care less about tire mileage! Care way more about tire PERFORMANCE!!! Handling, speed and braking are WAY more important than mileage! :wink:

boooby1744

Quote from: ViennaHog on January 28, 2009, 11:26:56 PM
Rotating tires on a motorsickle? Are you serious?
..................i have a twisted sense of humor................i thought it was obviosly absurd to all.

gottaride

Quote from: L- on January 29, 2009, 08:18:10 AM
oh gawd........ here we go.  Me?  6-7K on the rear and never over 12K on the front. But I suppose I am not the average rider.

i'll second that.. except 5 -6k on the rear on a fxr though, running avon venoms
We're not here for a long time, just a Good Time!!

Ultraman

Sorry, just have to say this...
Use Your Front Brake! In a panic you do what you always do! When you stop fast you unload the back tire, most braking is from the front. If you lock the back tire it slides out. Panic again as it slides out, Tire grabs and you hi-side. Make it a habit of using front and feather rear after the weight change. This will save your life!
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

Dennis The Menace

44K miles on front tire?   Rob, that must be you I see riding wheelies on the freeways around Denver, huh?  No wonder.  So, you really dont have 44k miles on the front, you likley have only 4-5K miles.  lol  (BTW, there is some guy around here I see on a yellow bike riding wheelies often on the freeways here--nuts).

Hope the tread was still good and deep.  I wouldnt take a chance on a thin tread on the front.  The rear, maybe.  But, not the front.  A blowout on front could be really messy, compared to a rear blowout.  Not that either is a good thing, but if ya have to choose which poison...... lol

menace

Panzer

Quote from: ViennaHog on January 28, 2009, 11:26:56 PM
Rotating tires on a motorsickle? Are you serious?

I did it once, it looked stupid.........skinny on the back, fat in the front.
Am I serious?.........nope.........do I look stupid ?
Don't even think about it.  :hyst:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

RKC03

Quote from: L- on January 30, 2009, 03:16:07 PM
I used to read this book called Uncle Ripely's Believe It or Not..........

Haveta/Couldta  be a case of somebody running your odometer ahead to git ya ta make that claim?   :wink:  Don't tell the batch # otherwise they may do a reall (MoCo)  :smileo:  All I can say is your doing somethun wrong, but I'd like to know what it is......   :hyst:   RKC03   :smiled:
RKC03