44 thousand miles on front tire, did I do something wrong???

Started by HarleyFranco, January 28, 2009, 05:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarleyFranco

I just had the front tire on my 08 Ultra Classic replaced at 44 thousand miles.  Is this unusual?  I certainly think so, never got more than 30 k out of a front tire before.  The tire still had 1/32 of thread left on it, not a lot but it wasn't bald either.  I commute daily to work and ride as much as possible on the weekends riding all sorts of roads, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't baby the bike or the tires. 

Has anyone else gotten this kind of milage out of thier stock dunlop tire?

Frank

Panzer

Don't know yet, new bike still under 10K.
What brand of tire was it??
I'm gonna buy stock in whatever co. it is.  :wink:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

HarleyFranco

Sonny S.

HarleyFranco

I use to use the back brakes more than the front, but after I wore a set of rear brakes out at 18k the dealer said I should be using the front brakes more, so since then I use my front brakes as the primary brakes.  I replaced the front pads at 34k miles.

Frank

Deye76

Quote from: Panzer on January 28, 2009, 05:36:10 PM
Don't know yet, new bike still under 10K.
What brand of tire was it??
I'm gonna buy stock in whatever co. it is.  :wink:
I'm gonna buy stock in the competitor that wears out in 10K. :wink:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hogpipes1

I keep it quite, dunlop here about this and there going  to remix there rubber batch.

truck

Around 20,000 miles is normal for a front tire. You must have ridden on soft roads to get that kind of mileage. :teeth:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

xxxflhrci

I got 39k outta my first front 402 on my RKC.  It still looked good when I swapped it. 

harborjohn

I have 20k miles on my stock ultra front tire and its still looks new. Replaced the rear at 13k and the replacement is looking worn already.

boooby1744

ViennaHog

ViennaHog

Quote from: HarleyFranco on January 28, 2009, 05:27:50 PM
I just had the front tire on my 08 Ultra Classic replaced at 44 thousand miles.  Is this unusual?  I certainly think so, never got more than 30 k out of a front tire before.  The tire still had 1/32 of thread left on it, not a lot but it wasn't bald either.  I commute daily to work and ride as much as possible on the weekends riding all sorts of roads, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't baby the bike or the tires. 

Frank

You must be babying this thing to the extreme. I get typically far less than 10,000 miles out of mine. 2 up mountains, high speed Autobahn and full use of the ABS brakes is the key reason I guess. What's the mpg you get?

Milehog

Proud IBA member

smittyon66

Quote from: boooby1744 on January 28, 2009, 09:11:00 PM
Do yuu rotate your tires every 7500 miles?

I rotate mine all the time. Bottom to top, top to botttom.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

vans24

I got 35 thousand out of my first front tire.. I ended up  replacing it cause I got tired of the little white stripe on the sidewalls... it still had plenty of  tread on it.  :pop:

L-

oh gawd........ here we go.  Me?  6-7K on the rear and never over 12K on the front. But I suppose I am not the average rider.

truck

Quote from: HarleyFranco on January 28, 2009, 05:27:50 PM

Frank
Is that the new tire Harley started using with hard rubber in the center and soft rubber on the sides?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

HarleyFranco

I think that new tire with the hard rubber is for the rear tire, I'm not 100% sure though. 

I don't baby the bike, ride it hard when I'm out having fun, but when commuting I set the cruise to 65 and go.

My average milage is 45-46 mpg.

Haven't seen any soft roads yet, cept for the washboard we ended up on one time.  Bout shook the crap out of us.

Frank

PS I rotate the tires everytime I ride.

IBARider

"My average milage is 45-46 mpg."

No offense, but I'd call that pretty mild riding.  I get 30-33 and am considered tame in some circles... not many though

I had 25,000 miles on my new '08 bagger front and it still had 2/32 left.  That was a lot of miles for me.  It was not cupped as bad as they usually are either.  I'd guess ABS has something to do with that, the theory being that, even though the tire is not 'sliding' it is indeed going slower than your bike under normal braking.  Maybe ABS is backing the brakes off a bit... is that why my brake lever is pulsing....
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

HarleyFranco

I call 45-46 mpg getting good gas milage, my bike doesn't have the abs brakes.  I don't slam it while riding to and from work, too many crazy people to worry about, besides highway patrol is out there giving tickets too.

Frank

marc

Damn....On my 04 Geezer Glide I will get about 12,000 on the rear and about 17,000 on the front before replacement...Dunlops...I ride 2 up and watch my tire pressures like a hawk...

Phu Cat

Franco, You mentioned using primarily the rear brake.  Don't be afraid to use that front brake as that brake does the majority of the stopping in a 'have to' situation.  Always good to practice panic stops in a clear area.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

sandrooney

I get about 15,000 on my E-3's. The front could go several thousand more, but for 90 bucks I change it, peace of mind.
Just my experience,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .