May 02, 2024, 06:03:22 PM

News:

Removing neck bearing cups

Started by bob_e95482, January 28, 2009, 06:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_e95482

Last time I painted the frame I left them in. Now I can't seem to remove them. Anybody know an easy way to get them out?

Snuff™

bob_e95482,

I've taken these out on both my shovel and pan.  I used either a 3/8" or 1/2" dia. piece of brass approx 9" long.  I picked up 3 different sizes at a local scrap metal dealer (cheap too).  Just insert through the opposite cup and hammer them out.

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

MMOCGuy

I got mine out with a long steel drift pin and a hammer. The steel drift pin might do minor distortion damage to the inside end of the piece but it is very easy to clean up. The idea of using brass as Bob suggested is a good idea. It will not damage the inside end of the cup but it might not get the cup out if it is really stuck in there - especially if you left it in when you painted and/or if any moisture had gotten in there over the years and caused rust to form (In My Humble Opine). If that is the case, I'd consider spraying a little penetrating oil in and let it penetrate the gap between the bearing piece and the inside of the neck.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

HDdude5

If you have a welding rig available, run a bead of weld on the bearing surfaces of the races, That will shrink them up to where they all but fall out.
Bill

ricochet

I usually use the brass drift/rod but saw a couple of days ago a tool on ebay that amounts to a piece of pipe where the last couple of inches of it is cut up the two sides dividing that end in two. It probably has some spring to it to get it to fit snug behind the cup inside the neck but I would think if you split it to at least meet the neck ID it would have some memory when you shove it on through.  Beat it from the uncut side.  I would think a regular bearing puller would work if handy too.

ricochet

bob_e95482

I think tomorrow I'll try running a bead around them. It's all sandlasted, ready for powdercoat, so i dont want to get penetrating oil on it.

onehawghead

You can also heat with a torch a small area of the cup cherry red and as it cools down it shrinks and it will come out very easily.

bob_e95482

I ran a bead around the inside, then it wasn't too hard to pound them out with a drift. Thanks.