April 28, 2024, 08:11:41 AM

News:

Tires

Started by littlefrank, January 28, 2009, 07:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlefrank

I bought a 97 Fatboy last year. The front tire is a Metzler and new. The back tire is Dunlop and it's time to replace. Your thoughts on what I should put on the back. Should I replace with a Metzler or stick with the Dunlop? Thanks.

truck

My experience with Metzeler is shown here but the low mileage before it is worn out can't be shown.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

hotham

I have run nothing but Avon Venom the last few years.  I ride hard and these tires just work for me.

Ely

Now in all fairness Truck  :duel: that tire has hit or rubbed on something.  I think that subject got bashed around on the old board.  I've ran German made Metzlers for years and yes the milage might be lower than some but they are a excellent tire if kept inflated to proper psi.

truck

Yes it did rub on the rubber flap of the belt guard, because the sidewall was so distorted.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Reddog74usa

Got a set of Bridgestone battle axe  BT-45's for 166.00 delivered from here. 16 rear 21 front

www.motorcycle-superstore.com.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

coolingfin

If I remember from the last time I looked into this:

Dunlop last longest
Avon sticks best
Metzler in the middle

The application I looked for was HD touring bikes.  I went with Avon.

hdjax2

Personally, knowing first hand how you like to ride, my preference would be the Dungflop's. I only say this because they seem to wear a little longer than the Metzlers. :wink:
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

88b

I've done a Metzler on the rear of my RG in 8k, can't say I like the ride that much either, think I'm going to splash out on a set of Dunlops. The alpha numerical Metzlers are now made in Brazil, and I'm told they are the problem tyres.

retyddone

I have had both Metzlers and dunlops. The dunlop E3s are what I am running now. I am at 13,000 mi on the back and still good, it looks like i have about 5000 mi left on it.

Choose the one you  like and be happy.

Tuna
Tuna
When you turn on your bike
Does it return the favor

Dennis The Menace

I put on Avon Venom x's last March and got close to 7K on rear, and will need to replace this spring.  Looks like it can probably go 9K till its at 1/32 left.

BUT, I am hypothesizing that mileage you get from a tire depends on where you ride.  Here in Colorado, we have a lot of rough concrete roads that, I feel, wear a tire out much faster than places with smoother road surfaces.  Makes sense to me, anyhow.  But, WTFDIK.

Still, I will replace the rear with another Avon.  Front is good, just replaced last March.

BTW, I usually go thru 1 rear a year, 1 front every other year.  Average 8-10K miles per year.  Solo, loaded only 1%, 190 lbs rider  07 RG.

Hope this helps

menace

blk-betty

Dennis

How do you like the Venoms on a bagger?  I had a set on a FXST and loved them. 

Just put a set on wife's Deluxe 2 weekends ago and plan on putting them on my 06 FLHX when the stockers need replacing - got the original front on there now and on my second Dunlop on the rear.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC