April 27, 2024, 04:31:06 AM

News:

Shovel anti-vibration blocks

Started by tbickle22, November 05, 2008, 11:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbickle22

Any opinions on these? There is a guy on E-Bay selling them. He also sells a CV carb  adapter. Thinking of ways to decrease vibration felt at the bars.
JD
JD

stray

Are you talking about the anti-vibration headjacks?  If so, be aware the is some welding.  I haven't used them so I don't know how much welding is involved.

Lew

They are probably great.  MHO...they most likely aren't needed if things are as they should be to begin with.  If you have annoying vibration I'd double check all the motor mounting bolts and look for a possible broken top mount.  A broken top mount will cause noticeable vibration.  May want to see about using something softer for the bar bushings if all is good with the engine mounts.  The stock and many aftermarket top mounts are pretty wimpy.  There are some heavy duty ones available that do a much better job of securing the top of the motor to the frame.  I think they make a difference and should be used.  Sometimes the exhaust system can start a vibration you can feel if it's mounts are not very stout.  I found adding an extra bracket to the rear pipe on my bike kept it from doing this....and kept it from cracking mount tabs too.
Nothing quite like a balanced motor either.....
Lew    
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

ModelABob

For sure check your top motor mount.  The vibration most definitely increases greatly when they break. :o

AMF/Ride Safe ;)
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

randallwhitman

If everything is mechanically sound and the vibes are still driving you crazy, try some bar-end weights.  A year ago I had just taken a 400 mile trip to Key West on my 103 shovel and the vibes were pretty annoying.  I googled "handlebar weights" and found some really nice, heavy ones that come painted black or chrome and are secured inside the ends of the bars.  An amazing difference. Open the photo, and you can see them at the ends of the bars.  Good luck.  Randy

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX