April 28, 2024, 07:22:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

knuckelhead needs welded

Started by ridgerider, January 29, 2009, 07:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridgerider

i have a 1947 knuckelhead, that i have rode and enjoyed since the 70's

last rebuild the topend was bored to thin and it exploded...breaking the top off the cases where the cylinders bolt down..and cracking the front head......i have all the parts to put it back together but need a shop to weld it...any experence with this or know of a shop/businnes that does this type of welding??/  any input is welcome i can send pictures

i am located in mid usa and could ship it...

thanks

fulldress79

Check out www.headhog.com He specializes in all sorts of case and head restorations,has lots of stuff on his website about repairing Knuckleheads. He welded and threaded a timing hole plug (after I screwed it up royally) You could never tell it was repaired. It was very reasonable too. I believe he was a machinist for NASA. He's in Ohio now. I'm sure he can do it.

drinner-okc

HeadHog is obviously good, but stays way behind. Try these guys, Their stuff looks great, and from what I've been told,
hits their estimated lead times pretty close. They might be able to give you an estimate from several good digital photos.
www.creeksidemc.com
e-mail Tom.

Thank goodness I've never needed them (or Don)
drinner-okc

Robin

Dont know where in the midwest you are, but I would take stuff like that to no one but Bruce Silkey, just west of Lawrence Kansas.  He is a master at welding cases (You can't find the welds), replacing fins etc.  He does outstandfing work...! Bruce Silkey at785-887-6626.  Tell him Robin sent ya!!!

Robin

Pzokes

I'd like to find someone in Atlanta, GA area that is good at welding fins.
There's miles to go before I sleep.