May 05, 2024, 10:50:36 AM

News:

OT: Black Lab ODOR - Any Idea's

Started by JamLazyAss, January 29, 2009, 10:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

Our Lab is about seven months old.
He has developed a strong odor that smells like dog poo (this is serious now).
I give him a bath and it seems to help, but not totally.
Within a couple of days the odor starts getting stronger.

His future here depends on whether or not I can find the source and eliminate it.
He's a really good dog, but the OL won't have the dog stinking up the house.
I can't blame her.

Any idea's before the inevitible comes?
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

nubs77

January 29, 2009, 10:34:41 AM #1 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:37:31 AM by nubs77
Don't laugh at me for this. Dogs have anal glands that have to be cleaned out trust me if they need cleaned they will smell like poo. Bigger problem with smaller dogs. Take him to the vet or a grooming place. Here in town it is 25$ for bath,butt wash,nails trimmed, well worth it in my book. They will show you how to do it also, but for only 25$ I don't want anyting to do with it.
F**K IT

Panzer

A call to the vet.
Those dogs are loyal.
Had one, my first, I'll never forget him.
Pronto on the call.
Might not cost you a thing.
Post pix of wife.........just kidding!!  :embarrassed:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Gonzo

Could be his ears. They make a special ear-wash to control odor, I "Potty mouth" you not!! Labs are succeptible to ear problems anyway. Our black lab "sparky" has had ear infections a couple of times. Does she play in the water a lot? They have a habit of coming down with yeast infections because of it.

crazycalvin

I am with Panzer and call the Vet.  Your beloved four leg friend relies on you to help him by noticing changes in him.  It might be nothing at all or it could be something.  When the glands let loose you can certainly tell!  Hope all goes well.  Later, Calvin.

Hog Dog

I've had a lab for 7 years now, he sleeps inside at night. I have never noticed anything like what you are experiencing, i'd call a vet and get him in to see what's going on.

CrazyRay

Always wise to call a professional but... you do mean the dog has the odor and not the carpet/house right?
Like Nubbs mentioned (Nubbs?) I think the scent glands can get clogged and need squeezin or something like that. But diet, meds, and supplements will all have an effect on your pets odor, urine odor, etc.
If the house is starting to smell and he is not peeing on the carpet, then oil and dander from his coat will transfer odor to where ever he is sleeping and can be difficult to remove. Keeping that area vacuumed and cleaned thoroughly will help.

crazycalvin

He isn't rolling in anything is he?  Our Basset Hound loved rolling in dead fish and would stink beyond belief.

Kansas

Call your vet.  Early last falll I went through a deal where my black lab mix decided to chase a skunk.  Bad idea. She is only now completely stink free and her damaged coat is growing out to it's pretty shiny old self. Getting the stink out of my new new Chevy HHR from the trip home is another story.  Stupid dog.  It's hard to stay mad at her though, and now I can laugh about it.  I can't recall what exactly the 4 baths and three days at the vet cost me.

11.7to1

We have a Golden Lab, and I can attest to what Gonzo stated. One of his ears stunk like all get out. We used hydrogen peroxide to kill the bacteria.

autoworker

It's not his breath from eating it,is it? :smilep:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

dablaze

I have gone through what Nubs is speaking of, and the symptoms are exactly what both he and you are speaking of...along with dragging their *ss on the ground, although not always.

I agree...a visit to the vet will explain it all.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

JamLazyAss

Mouth and ears look and smell ok.

He just has a strong odor that smells like he's been rolling in dog crap.
That's doubtfull as there's about four plus feet of snow out there, so he'd have a hard time even if he wanted to.

Called the Vet today.
They have no idea which kind of surprised me.
Maybe it's because I called instead of going there $$$ ?

My daughter is a Vet Tech at a local animal emergency medical center.
I guess she's going to try to clean his anal glands?  :dgust:  Better her than me.

I'll post an update tomorrow after she does it.
Good luck "Trooper".

autoworker

It could be related to his diet and the odor leeching out through his skin/fur.If you don't find anything obvious you may want to switch his food.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Panzer

Quote from: JamLazyAss on January 29, 2009, 03:48:53 PM
Mouth and ears look and smell ok

Jam...don't go any further  :dgust:............please, I'll take your word for it.  :crook:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

blk-betty

Funny you asked this today.  Wife and I were just talking about this topic at dinner tonight, she was telling me about a co-worker who has a Chocolate Lab that smells.

Ok this is going to sound like total BS and when my wife told me the story I said BS - but this is what the co-worker says her vet told her.  She claims the vet said less than 1% of dogs actually sweat and her dog is one of those that sweats and she has to wash it every several days as it strats smelling more more each day until it is washed again.

Now we all have been told dogs don't sweat and they radiate heat by panting and hanging their tounge out.  I still am very skeptical but just passing information on from what my wife said today and this topic came up without me asking.  It is kind of a coincidence that both dogs are Labs.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out. 
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

gOOseman

January 29, 2009, 05:14:48 PM #16 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:29:07 PM by gOOseman
Not a Vet but a dog owner (couple spoilled Black Labs).....had a Golden a few years back that had a odor to her coat (and at times some flakes in her coat like dry skin)....took her to the Vet and was determined that she (kidneys) was not able to handle the protein content of her dog food. Changed to a lower protein content food and problem went away.She lived to be 16 years old.  Regardless, I would suggest a Vet visit.

gOOseman
gOOseman
I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a lOOk...

hunter

January 29, 2009, 06:30:13 PM #17 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:41:09 AM by hunter
Just because you avoid stepping in their crap doesn't mean they do.  I think they kind of like it.  Smell them tookers.  If the breath smells like crap, there's a good chance it licked its feet clean afterward.

adayrider

January 30, 2009, 11:10:27 AM #18 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:15:58 AM by adayrider
Shoot the dog or get rid of the OL.  :pop:
Our vet told us to feed our dogs Lab/Sheppard (brother/sister) mix grease or oil. Like bacon grease from the pan cause they had dry skin. They always smell but they are outside dogs.

road-dawgs1

In regards to Nub's post I know this to be true.  We have had beagles throughout the years and they would often smell like "buttjuice" to put it nicely and the vet said we had to excrete their anal glands.  A sign of this needing to be done was them dragging their asses across the floor or always licking their butt.  But yes do check with a vet because it could be other things.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

lonegoosehonking

I keep my dogs outside, they stink and fart and when the female goes in heat she bleeds all over the place. Plus if I let them inside they would tag team my leather couch. So they both have luxury accommodations in deluxe igloos with complimentary
cedar chips. They are Dogs, have been around as long as we have , plus they watch the yard. Both are Pit Bulls. Good dogs..

Florida Marine

Quote from: nubs77 on January 29, 2009, 10:34:41 AM
Don't laugh at me for this. Dogs have anal glands that have to be cleaned out trust me if they need cleaned they will smell like poo. Bigger problem with smaller dogs. Take him to the vet or a grooming place. Here in town it is 25$ for bath,butt wash,nails trimmed, well worth it in my book. They will show you how to do it also, but for only 25$ I don't want anyting to do with it.

+1 to this - on my 4th lab now, they need their butt popped...

Petsmart will do it also, with a grooming.

Best dogs walking

Sean
Wow - can't fit it in 80 characters...

dohmixer

Quote from: JamLazyAss on January 29, 2009, 03:48:53 PM
Mouth and ears look and smell ok.

He just has a strong odor that smells like he's been rolling in dog crap.
That's doubtfull as there's about four plus feet of snow out there, so he'd have a hard time even if he wanted to.

Called the Vet today.
They have no idea which kind of surprised me.
Maybe it's because I called instead of going there $$$ ?

My daughter is a Vet Tech at a local animal emergency medical center.
I guess she's going to try to clean his anal glands?  :dgust:  Better her than me.

I'll post an update tomorrow after she does it.
Good luck "Trooper".

Do you have an update for us?  :pop:
2000 Dyna Wide Glide     Union Baker BCTGM Local#85

JamLazyAss

Yes I do.

Seems we could do his anal glands, but that's not the real source of the problem.

What is, is the neighbor's rottie.
When the lab pup goes out to do his business, he will on occasion stop and visit the neighbor's dog.
The rottie is a large, unfixed, dominent male.
Being dominent, he marks (pee's) on the pup to express his dominence.
The pup plays with him, rolls around, and basically ends up smelling like a toilet.

For approx one week, he has not been near the rottie.
Sure enough, for approx one week, NO SMELL.

The main Vet at the animal hospital figured this out.

Amazing huh?

gOOseman

Glad it was an easy fix................

gOOseman

gOOseman
I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a lOOk...

Florida Marine

Quote from: JamLazyAss on February 06, 2009, 03:20:32 PM
Yes I do.

Seems we could do his anal glands, but that's not the real source of the problem.

What is, is the neighbor's rottie.
When the lab pup goes out to do his business, he will on occasion stop and visit the neighbor's dog.
The rottie is a large, unfixed, dominent male.
Being dominent, he marks (pee's) on the pup to express his dominence.
The pup plays with him, rolls around, and basically ends up smelling like a toilet.

For approx one week, he has not been near the rottie.
Sure enough, for approx one week, NO SMELL.

The main Vet at the animal hospital figured this out.

Amazing huh?

that was way to easy, you need to do something that costs money - otherwise its not fair...   Hell, we drive by the vet and get a $300 bill.
Wow - can't fit it in 80 characters...

JamLazyAss

Guess it helped having a daughter thats a Vet Tech and works at an animal hospital.
Gotta tell ya, it feels good not having to shell it out for a change as you mentioned.   :potstir:

Superheat9

My dog lives in the house with me. men put on the rubber glove and get RR done.... real men don't need a glove. When I was younger my dogs lived outside but now that I am older and wiser they live inside with me.

That's right I love my dog and spoil has ass rotten. There may be a joke there....who knows

Tex_Bagger

Dude,  For the love of God,  Take your dog to a good Vet.
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock