May 07, 2024, 09:54:53 PM

News:

whats the most gas you have ...

Started by nicadocius22, June 25, 2012, 04:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicadocius22

put in a 5 gallon tank with out having to push it or fill it on the side of the road? this was only my 2nd tank through my 07 rg. She didnt have another 50 ft left in her

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

codyshop

I don't remember how much it took, but I was in the Red Desert and hit reserve (my own damned fault).  Then reserve ran out so I leaned the bike to the left against a tree and got what was in the right side over to the left and clamped the crossover with a pair on needlenose vicegrips.  I ran out about six miles later and coasted into the first gas station I'd seen in over two hours.   

Thumper Buttercup

We've got several over five fill-ups, I've never run out with this one.

5.37 at Regent ND on the way back from Sturgis, the owner of the
store was smiling when I went in to pay, he said a little low :teeth:.

A 5.35 in Grand Forks ND running up the interstate, we had the low
fuel light come on just as we passed the exit to Hillsboro, we rode
that one out, I think she hiccuped a little as we turned in but did not
die.
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

dunbarton

My 2000 ultra holds almost exactly 6 US gallons.. full to the lip to bone dry. When I converted from FI to carb I measured it because i was curious too.

76shuvlinoff

When I was a kid my mom chewed my ass for "running out of gas" in my car. She said it had to be about the most stupid thing you could do since you had a gauge right there on the dash. Well it was worth it.

For some reason I think that stuck with me and I try to fill her up between 100 and 130 miles. One time I had been working on the bike and drained the gas. I used it in the lawnmower and only had a gallon or so to put back in then I forgot about it.  :embarrassed: At least it was the shovel and it had a reserve.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Barney Biker

I don't know about anyone else but I have no faith in the pump measurements.
I have put 2.3 gallons in a 2 gallon gas can several times for my lawnmower.

Of course they wouldn't cheat us with this.

Barney

Nooter99

I left a buddies MC in southwest Detroit a few weeks back at about midnight on a Saturday, took a wrong turn and found myself in an area no sane person would go willingly. I look down and the red light on my Kurakyn gauge is blinking, first time I'd seen it do that. Next 15 minutes was not fun trying to find my way back to civilization! When I finally got to a "safe" gas station, it took 4.8 gallons, so I was probably ok, at least as far as gas goes!
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!

SoonerSoftail

5.3+?  I've ran dry, coasted into the gas station and only got 5.1 back in it.

bigfoot5x

I'm happy to hear that it holds more than 5 gallons. My gas guage quit working a few months back. That doesn't really bother me because when I first started riding there were no gas guages anyway. I always drove by mileage. Recently Texas has upped the speedlimit on rural interstates 5 mph. I upped my cruising speed to match and my gas mileage dropped 5 or 6 mpg instantly. What a surprise! All of a sudden I came pretty close to running out of gas assuming a 5 gallon tank.

nicadocius22

i couldnt believe 5.3 either. i filled it standing up, not on the stand but untill that day i had never squeezed more than 5.1  or so in.

rideonfasterlouder

5.2 in my 05 RG. We were on a parkway in Kentucky and I stretched it a little.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: codyshop on June 25, 2012, 04:41:18 PM
I don't remember how much it took, but I was in the Red Desert and hit reserve (my own damned fault).  Then reserve ran out so I leaned the bike to the left against a tree and got what was in the right side over to the left and clamped the crossover with a pair on needlenose vicegrips.  I ran out about six miles later and coasted into the first gas station I'd seen in over two hours.
Do you have one of these  :scratch:
http://franktherealbiker.com/Tank-Tamper.cfm?
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

hd06myway

I need to get what some of you people are smokin', Harley's fuel tanks (on the FLH line only), went from 5.0 gal to 6.0 gal, in the 2008 model year.  This guys putting over 5 gal's in his '07 rg??? (ROAD GLIDE?), another poster says his 2000 Ultra holds exactly 6.0 "US" gal of fuel... must be a custom aftermarket tank then... because up to 2008, all FLH tanks were 5.0, The Softails had 5.2 gallon capacity. people getting (or think they're getting), 50-60 mi. per gallon ON AVERAGE... I think we should calls this sight Harley Tech Talk & Pro Bass BS Fish Stories..  :wtf: :pop: :hyst:  Whatta ya think?  :idunno:

biglew55

Quote from: hd06myway on June 26, 2012, 11:34:31 AM
I need to get what some of you people are smokin', Harley's fuel tanks (on the FLH line only), went from 5.0 gal to 6.0 gal, in the 2008 model year.  This guys putting over 5 gal's in his '07 rg??? (ROAD GLIDE?), another poster says his 2000 Ultra holds exactly 6.0 "US" gal of fuel... must be a custom aftermarket tank then... because up to 2008, all FLH tanks were 5.0, The Softails had 5.2 gallon capacity. people getting (or think they're getting), 50-60 mi. per gallon ON AVERAGE... I think we should calls this sight Harley Tech Talk & Pro Bass BS Fish Stories..  :wtf: :pop: :hyst:  Whatta ya think?  :idunno:

Nice, but I personally put 5.2 gallons in my bone stock 2003 FLTRI 5 gallon tank.  You probably believe that SYN3 is the only oil to use because HD says so too, right?
:potstir: :hyst:
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

hd06myway

June 26, 2012, 11:52:39 AM #14 Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:57:02 AM by hd06myway
Quote from: biglew55 on June 26, 2012, 11:46:42 AM

Nice, but I personally put 5.2 gallons in my bone stock 2003 FLTRI 5 gallon tank.  You probably believe that SYN3 is the only oil to use because HD says so too, right?
:potstir: :hyst:

I suppose it's possible to squeeze out .2 gallons of fuel into a 5.0 gal tank, so what?  Believe everything Harley tells me???? Hahaha, I don't think so friendm you can search my responses to oil threads to get that thought out of your brain... but I do quote Harley's proclaimed specs, like tank sizes, motor sizes, am I not suppose to believe those?  :bf:  Pass the butter Lew, I'm sure we'll be getting more stir the pot responses, but hey, we can't be just be talking about TQ specs all day long or duration vs overlap or this oil vs this oil, or cam vs cam..blah blah blah & some of that other "Techtalk" stuff can we?  They'll probably be locking this one up (the thread, not me...  :wink:) sooner than later anyway..  :pop:

nicadocius22

i posted a pic from the gas station, and that s.o.b. was on fumes. it sputtered and spit all the way into the station. you figure you get a pinch in the neck and its not like it says 5.000000 it just says 5.

Jeffd

2004 egc (carb) held 5.4 gallons when completely dry.  I think carbed bikes hold more as no fuel pump taking up tank space

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

N-gin

5.3 ultra classic 8 miles after the speedo odo read low
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Mechanic77

'04 FLHT (carbed), 5.25 gal., and it was still running ;)

Showdog75

Brussel sprouts usually gives me the most gas!!! :hyst:

MaxxV4

05 FLHTI with a "claimed" 5 gallon tank, 5.19 gallons. It was starting to sputter when slowing to turn into the station. The first time I put over 5 gallons in the tank, I called County weights and measures to check the station because I didn't believe the pump was accurate. The guy from the county called and left me a message that week stating he checked the same pump that I used and it was right on the money.

Mike

PoorUB

I never ran out of gas on my '05 and never put in more than 4.8 gallons. I did not see the need to test it to the limits. Same with my '10. I have put 5.7 in a couple times, close enough to out of gas to me.

As for the high MPG claims, I ride with a few guys that regularly claim high numbers, one guy was claiming over 50 MPG on his Limited. Funny thing is when they ride with me they get pretty much the same MPG I get, about 40 MPG average, maybe 37-38 running interstate, highs around 44 MPG. Usually the 103's gets a tad less than me, some 88's and 96's get a mile or so better.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SoonerSoftail

Quote from: PoorUB on June 26, 2012, 08:18:06 PMI never ran out of gas on my '05 and never put in more than 4.8 gallons. I did not see the need to test it to the limits. Same with my '10. I have put 5.7 in a couple times, close enough to out of gas to me.
I've never meant to test the limits either. I just occasionally look down and see 150 miles and think "I need to get gas tomorrow". Then tomorrow I forget to get gas or look at the odometer. It's tough getting old.

Mechanic77

I wasn't intending to push the limits either....headed south on the turnpike (gas stations few and far between) running 80mph and pushing a 30+ mph headwind.....needless to say, I didn't get the kind of mileage I was used to ;)

Ken R

Quote from: nicadocius22 on June 25, 2012, 04:34:35 PM
put in a 5 gallon tank with out having to push it or fill it on the side of the road? this was only my 2nd tank through my 07 rg. She didnt have another 50 ft left in her

About the same as you.  And I wasn't planning to test it to the limit, either.  Just worked out that way.  GPS said there was a gas station 35 miles up the road.  When I exited the highway and turned onto the farm road, I could see that the station was boarded up.  Next station was 20 or more miles.  I'm sweating bullets now.  Nothing will slow ya down like running out of gas. 

The motor began to sputter on the downhills, but on the up hills, it was solid.  Did this for 4 or 5 miles.  Finally, the exit!  And thankfully, it was uphill to the farm road and then over the overpass to the station.  Motor died halfway over the overpass and I coasted in to the station.  (ran the stop sign after the overpass to get there).  5.3x gallons of gas in my 2002 Ultra.  I sure was lucky.

wavlovr1

Quote from: codyshop on June 25, 2012, 04:41:18 PM

Now that's what I call making good use of da noggin... I'll have to remember that.... Note to self; put visegrips in tool pouch..

jb

maineultraclassic

I've put 5.3.. in a few times, sputtered into the gas station and wiped the sweat from my brow.

I don't like doing it, but sometimes it just happens when you are in areas without gas stations.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

jambo

I dont trust what the pumps say, put 16 gal in a 16 gal tank when it had over a quarter tank of gas left. Went in and complained but the person behind the counter really had no control. Ive ran into this serveral times. I dont think you get a gallon for a gallon. Thats wth its so cheap. :scratch:

Ken R

Quote from: jambo on July 08, 2012, 06:35:32 PM
I dont trust what the pumps say, put 16 gal in a 16 gal tank when it had over a quarter tank of gas left. Went in and complained but the person behind the counter really had no control. Ive ran into this serveral times. I dont think you get a gallon for a gallon. Thats wth its so cheap. :scratch:

I suspected a pump of cheating me once time.  I called the Texas department that was over it.  Don't remember which.  They actually came out and used their graduated beaker to test each pump at the station.  Then, the tester called me on the phone where I worked.  All pumps were certified o.k. by the state examiner.  It's their job to police the gas stations and I'm sure they take delight in finding abnormalities.  In this case, there were none.

Ken

HyperDetroit

Quote from: Ken R on July 08, 2012, 07:42:58 PM
Quote from: jambo on July 08, 2012, 06:35:32 PM

I suspected a pump of cheating me once time.  I called the Texas department that was over it.  Don't remember which.  They actually came out and used their graduated beaker to test each pump at the station.  Then, the tester called me on the phone where I worked.  All pumps were certified o.k. by the state examiner.  It's their job to police the gas stations and I'm sure they take delight in finding abnormalities.  In this case, there were none.

Ken

Last winter when I was visiting someone in Florida, we drove by a shuttered gas station. I was told the reason for the shutdown was the gallon not really measuring up.

My FXR has a 4.2 gallon tank and on my recent trip to Michigan I pushed it and when I finally filled up, it was 4.15 gallons. Definitely should file it under "Let's not do that again"
Всё в руках божьих

hbkeith

Quote from: Nooter99 on June 26, 2012, 04:29:27 AM
I left a buddies MC in southwest Detroit a few weeks back at about midnight on a Saturday, took a wrong turn and found myself in an area no sane person would go willingly. I look down and the red light on my Kurakyn gauge is blinking, first time I'd seen it do that. Next 15 minutes was not fun trying to find my way back to civilization! When I finally got to a "safe" gas station, it took 4.8 gallons, so I was probably ok, at least as far as gas goes!
sounds like were im from  :up: