April 27, 2024, 07:51:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bullet Lights (Dual Purpose)

Started by jiggyfingers, January 29, 2009, 05:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggyfingers

I went with a strutless fender and removed my passenger pegs. In its place I want to mount a set of LED bullet lights. I would like to set up the lights to work both as turn signals as well as running lights. What lights should I use for this application? How would I wire this? Any brand recommendations would be helpful. Thanks!!!

ramcr913

Look for any light labeled "dual element" or "dual wired". Basically you are looking for a light with 3 wires. One is a ground, the other two can hook up to anything you want. As far as wiring, hopefully you have a manual. Look at your wiring schematic and find what color wire goes to your taillight and to your existing turn signal/brake light. Lacking a manual, you can find the wire with a meter or any auto test light- look for a wire that stays hot when you turn on your ignition (lights on). That one is your taillight. Then find the left and right turn signal wires by activating your signals (key on). Meter or test lamp will blink. Get some help, a couple of extra hands will be useful.
Again, any 3-wire bullet light should work. Post your bike year and model, maybe someone will have a manual and can help you ID the wire. I would still verify with a meter.
Keep us posted, good luck.

stroker800

Some of the dual lights will only have 2 wires as the mounting point is the ground,,also LEDS may also need a load equalized,,,,LEDS need very little power to operate ,,this will lower he power to the light so the flasher wiil blink at correct speed.
Dave

ramcr913

Stroke800- True enough- I have seen grounding both ways. As far as load equalization, I wasn't thinking LEDs. Thanks for clarifying,

Buddy WMC

Interesting guys,

Just pulled my rear fender off last week to have it repainted. I have dual element bulbs and the system works as running lights, directionals and all three in the rear when the brakes are applied. It must have something to do with the Kuryakin module that is installed as I only have one wire running to each side light. I just had to pop the pins out of the connector(4) to remove all the wiring. It actually looks like both the ground wires to the directonals were cut and just left inside the housings. All the lights work like they are supposed to.

I do not intend to hijack the thread, but any comments would be appreciated as this is an Indy installed system.

Crotch_Rockets_Suck

I did the same thing on my bike.  I'm actually using Big Dog front turn signals with the red LED boards in 'em.  If you get the wiring harnesses they come with the correct connectors for the boards.  Used my neighbor's lathe to drill a hole through the middle of the mounting bolts and have run the wires through those.  Can't stare at 'em too long or I see spots for hours. :smiled:

The new Harley Rockers are also using the turn signals as brake/running lights.  Might be able to pick up a set of those from your local dealer.
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

bigpete1

i did this with my rigid i used two of the stock harley front blinkers they are dual filament ,they look nice the new style ones anyway and you canfind them cheap ,then put led bulbin them if you like ,thanks pete