May 08, 2024, 05:56:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What's the word on the street -S&S Throttle Hog?

Started by razorwire, July 04, 2012, 05:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

razorwire

Any word about the quality of the S&S Throttle Hog yet?
2009 Road Glide
NB, Canada

Admiral Akbar

razorwire

I agree the price looks very interesting seeing that HPI is close to double that here in canada. I wonder what the difference is. I also wonder if SE is using that in their new 103 stage 4 big bore kit?? Just trying to connect the dots.
2009 Road Glide
NB, Canada

ongrade

They want your stock tbody shipped to them so they can install your electronics in the new one. But they make no mention of returning it. Probably use it as a core for bored out tbodies and that offsets the cost of the throttle hog.

razorwire

Quote from: ongrade on July 04, 2012, 11:23:38 AM
They want your stock tbody shipped to them so they can install your electronics in the new one. But they make no mention of returning it. Probably use it as a core for bored out tbodies and that offsets the cost of the throttle hog.
I would go for the trade in for the price difference but I'm not sure what they're going to with a 50mmTB I think they can only bore those out to 54mm and they don't mention anything about offering 54's. Maybe once they get enough on trade they're start offering reworked 54's??
2009 Road Glide
NB, Canada

ongrade

Quote from: razorwire on July 04, 2012, 11:41:44 AM
I would go for the trade in for the price difference but I'm not sure what they're going to with a 50mmTB I think they can only bore those out to 54mm and they don't mention anything about offering 54's. Maybe once they get enough on trade they're start offering reworked 54's??

Or sell them to some other vendor who does tbody boring.

razorwire

Quote from: ongrade on July 04, 2012, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: razorwire on July 04, 2012, 11:41:44 AM

Or sell them to some other vendor who does tbody boring.
True Dat!
2009 Road Glide
NB, Canada

Powerglides

Both the S&S and HPI DBW TBs are new castings, butterflies, and shafts. The reason that the old TB has to be submitted is due to the tooling costs for the drive gears that are installed, as well as the electrics. These need to be transferred over to the new casting, which is why both companies insist that you send in a working one, that they test prior to transferring over the parts.
HPI has the advantage of offering different manifold runner diameters to suit the intake ports of different heads. Also the HPI uses the OEM bolt pattern for the air cleaner backplate, so an existing hi flow filter wont need to be replaced with another expensive one to suit the new TB. I dont know what bolt pattern S&S use on these new ones, but their other ones aren't the same as OEM.

Boz

moose

plus don't forget the special t shirt     :scratch:
Moose aka Glenn-

razorwire

Quote from: moose on July 04, 2012, 12:24:00 PM
plus don't forget the special t shirt     :scratch:
Do I have to send in an old T-shirt to get a new one?  :hyst:
2009 Road Glide
NB, Canada