April 26, 2024, 11:27:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

anyone have flow rates for Thunderstorm heads?

Started by mayor, January 30, 2009, 03:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

Hello everyone,

does anyone have flow rates for stock Thunderstorm Heads?  how about flow rates for modified T-storms?

tia,
mayor
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

jsachs1

Stock T-Storm (98).My records show 133 cfm,10",stall at .500" lift. Intake
                                                    97 cfm,10",stall at .550" lift. Exhaust
They have 65 cc chambers.
Valve to valve is a problem with big valves,and big TDC lifts. :down:
It's easy to kill low and mid lift flow on the exhaust side. :down:
Intakes respond like any good Evo port work. :up:
John

mayor

Thanks John.  Have you measured volume of the pistons (std bore)?
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

jsachs1

Pushrod

Did you mean to say 30 degree domes,   The Thunderstorm Heads take 30* domes,  the earley (6 Casting Lighting heads had the 10* dome pistons,

jsachs1

The factory T-Storm pistons and heads,and also the W/Lightning pistons and heads(1 in the same)I've worked on were all 10 degree. :up:
John :wink:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

jonkraushaar

actuallly the lightning pistons are 10 degree and the thunderstorm pistons are 15 degree they are not the same pistons and the chamber volumes are the same at 67 cc's you can cut 30 degree domes into the heads but they are special applications and I can do that in house. Sorry not trying to put anyone out just trying to help and educate at the same time ive been head porting for 8 years and have learned alot and have room to learn more. Any questions please dont hesitate to ask. Thanks Jon

jsachs1

July 07, 2009, 07:09:11 PM #7 Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:53:32 PM by jsachs1
"thunderstorm pistons are 15 degree"

Don't want to get into a pissing match,but the piston pictured is a '98 S-3 Buell T-storm piston.
You can take it to the bank that it's a 10 degree domed piston. :duel:
I've done quite a few sets of T-Storm heads,and never had to go NEAR 15 degrees,when using MoCo or Wiseco pistons,BWTFDIK.
John :wink:
Just checked my Partsmart disc.Funny thing,T-storm piston,and White Lightning piston have the same part #.
Anddddddddddddd so do the Wiseco's.... :rtfb:

jonkraushaar

John you are right my mistake the chambers of the heads are not the same the thunderstorm heads have a 15 degree squishbands in the chamber and the lightnings which is the 1200, blast and 1200S all have 10 degree squish bands but the pistons are the same part number sorry for that.

Pushrod

All good, i  meant to say 15* not 30* ,      i have Some T- Storm Pistons here and they have differant part numbers from the lightning piston,   i will go and measure and put this rite!

jonkraushaar

I took a guys set of T-storm heads welded the Intake ports up and ported them and did a couple of other thing to it but it was an 82ci with 140 horsepower when it was all said and done. This is on a Buell S1 lightning and he races AHDRA in Hot Street. Of course it wasnt streetable. I cant really go into detail of what we put in that bike unless of course thats what you want. If your looking for something streetable I can still do the same thing and get you close to 115-120hp it just depends on that old saying how fast can you afford to go. This isnt just for T-storm heads this is all aluminium Harley heads.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: jsachs1 on July 07, 2009, 07:09:11 PM
"thunderstorm pistons are 15 degree"

Don't want to get into a pissing match,but the piston pictured is a '98 S-3 Buell T-storm piston.
You can take it to the bank that it's a 10 degree domed piston.
I've done quite a few sets of T-Storm heads,and never had to go NEAR 15 degrees,when using MoCo or Wiseco pistonsJohn
Just checked my Partsmart disc.Funny thing,T-storm piston,and White Lightning piston have the same part #.
Anddddddddddddd so do the Wiseco's....

Does this mean you had your glasses on to read   :hyst: :duel:   I have been looking at a xb12 to play around with. Bike was layed down hard but could be turned into a nice drag bike... Ahhh hell what do I know I own a shovel