May 10, 2024, 12:30:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Time for the drag pipes to go

Started by RNswOH, July 08, 2012, 09:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RNswOH

Well, I've put about 250 miles on my bike, and I really don't like the pipes. They're just too tinny sounding.

I'm leaning towards the Samson legend series, either the ripsaws or slashers.

Considering some of the Vance and  hines models as well.

Does anyone have any experience with these models?

andyxlh

I remember hearing an '88 XLH with a set of VH long shots on it - the best sounding Harley of any type I have ever heard IMHO. Not sure about the samson ones tho' not seen them. Anything will be better than drag pipes - sound horrid and ruin performance too.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

FLSTN

I have straight pipes on my 883 and they do sound awesome, but the bike has no low end power. I'd trade sound for power.

RNswOH

The sound isn't  terrible I just want a deeper throatier roar. Pretty set on the Samson slashers. Decent price on their website.

epsporty

i have v&h short shots.  they sound pretty throaty and look pretty nice but some say the passenger gets the exhaust note right in the ear.  my OL says it doesn't bother her much but then again, she's usually listening to her ipod.  the long shots are pretty sweet too.

andyxlh

As FLSTN says, you get more sound but less power with no baffles. That low end grunt is what makes Harley V-twin engines good IMO, as there's not a lot of HP for most engines. With baffles the sound is also more of a 'rumble' than a 'bark' too which I think is nicer to the ear. Also less chance of running lean and ruining the heads.
The long shots might solve the problem of passenger deafening too, but they do compromise ground clearance on those tight right handers...
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

RNswOH

Quote from: andyxlh on July 10, 2012, 12:46:22 AM
As FLSTN says, you get more sound but less power with no baffles. That low end grunt is what makes Harley V-twin engines good IMO, as there's not a lot of HP for most engines. With baffles the sound is also more of a 'rumble' than a 'bark' too which I think is nicer to the ear. Also less chance of running lean and ruining the heads.
The long shots might solve the problem of passenger deafening too, but they do compromise ground clearance on those tight right handers...

As far as I could tell they don't offer long shots for sportsters any more. The Samsons are pretty long though.

andyxlh

That's a shame, always had in the back of my mind to get a set of those for my ride 'when i get the cash together' (does that ever happen???)

Pilgrim

Quote from: RNswOH on July 08, 2012, 09:28:37 AM
Well, I've put about 250 miles on my bike, and I really don't like the pipes. They're just too tinny sounding.

I'm leaning towards the Samson legend series, either the ripsaws or slashers.

Considering some of the Vance and  hines models as well.

Does anyone have any experience with these models?

Cycle Shack slip-ons have what I think is the best sound around and deliver more power under the curve than almost any other two-into-two setup. And they're not expensive.

Pilgrim
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: FLSTN on July 09, 2012, 08:12:37 AM
I have straight pipes on my 883 and they do sound awesome, but the bike has no low end power. I'd trade sound for power.

Install the bolts as I have described in a couple threads in this section.
It'll raise the bottom-mid torque 10-12 ft/lbs in most cases.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

FLSTN

I don't know what brand of pipes I have, but they come back to rear axle and turn towards ground for a couple of inches, so I wonder if the washer trick would work.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

Hooda

I have Samson shortys on mine. Sound great nice deep roar. Good hp

Hillside Motorcycle

Some of these pipes that are on the market, would be best used under the kitchen sink...............this is not an opinion either. :dgust:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"