May 07, 2024, 01:27:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

68 xlch hard starting

Started by rexx5054, July 08, 2012, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexx5054

I need to know the best kind of spark plug wires that work with the magneto. when I had the magneto off it had a good spark but with it :emsad:on the bike and testing the spark at the plugs it seems very weak. any ideas, because i have not ridden the bike this year. http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/Smileys/classic/emsad.gif
Also I saw a post about the crankcase ventilation valve leaking thru to the primary. I need to know more about that because when i tried to get the bike going I added  oil to fill it but it leaked more on the floor after doing this.

tomfiii

You're not bringing the motor too far up on compression when checking are you,as a mag needs a full spin to produce a good spark when starting.

wreck74

Copper core wires for the mag.

rexx5054

to Tomfii,
Can you explain what you mean by bringing it up to high on compression when starting.?

tomfiii

It is when you push down on kicker until compression builds and then kick to start it.As the farther you get to TDC the less time the mag has to build up voltage.

heapster

:teeth:  Kick harder!  And be sure your carb is adjusted properly.  If you have a Tillotson;  be sure the accellerator pump is squirting when you twist the throttle and the idle screw (on top) at 1/2 to 3/4 turn and mid range about the same.

Hillside Motorcycle

...............and make sure you do not have a tight pushrod.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

eglideic

I do know that the point gap is critical. Make sure it is spot on. I think .020 is correct, but it has been many years since I fooled with a magneto.
Also I know the coils inside the magneto can get weak with age.

desertrat

The spark plug gap is 20, the points gap is 12. I just picked up a 68 that had been sitting for 20 years, because it was impossible to start. When I pulled the mag cover, I saw the huge gap in the points and knew the problem. I gaped the points, set the timing, staticly, gaped the plugs and it started on the 4th kick....Cool ol chopper, hardtail, wide glide, 21 up front, 16 rear...Course I'm 60, a hardtail is real hard on me....Good Luck... :chop:

nibroc

point gap is critical--wreck and scott are spot-on w/wires & push rods--get a manual and study it--there's one on ebay right now and cheap--point gap is .015"--no more no less :rtfb:

Brrrap

:scratch: A '68 XLCH hard starting? :scratch: Well I'll be damned! What will they think of next!
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

nibroc

i consider anything over 5 or 6 kicks hard to start w/magneto not counting proper priming procedure

FLH_Rider

If it has copper core wires on it. Look at the ends to see if the wire has eroded or burnt away on the ends. They can get old and brittle and break away. It is a good idea to replace them. 8mm solid core wires work best.

bobrk1

.015 on the points, .025 on the plugs thats how i ran my 70 1 kick warm 3 cold