April 27, 2024, 03:50:37 PM

News:

What to use to seal case halves?

Started by tinkerman, January 30, 2009, 10:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerman

OK fellows,

I am getting ready to put the case halves of my 88 evo back together after cleaning everything out. Found a few crumbs of the bearing in there so it was worth doing for sure.

I would like some sugestions on what sealant to use between the case halves. I have some permatex gasket dressing here in the shop...one that sets hard and one that sets flexible. I tend to think the flexible one would be better but don't want to make any assumptions. My inexperience with the Harley thing is what got the cases up on the bench in the first place. (still kicking myself in the ass on this one) :dgust:

Thanks fellows,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

rigidthumper

I get  HD 99650-02, Harley high-performance sealant, grey: commonly  called Yamabond or Hondabond.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ricochet

Yup.  I use Yamabond.  The light grey stuff.  Believe 3M makes a white product others have mentioned.

ricochet

lasmittys1

I like clear silicon, but I also like to wipe it off the outside of the case when their together and see nothing. What ever you choose clean the case mating
surface thoroughly. H-D likes to coat the bolts as they install them.

tinkerman

Thanks Fellows,

I have a tube of grey permatex stuff here as well which specifies it is made for mating crank case halves. Will use that based on the types of sealants you folks are using it should be good to go. Gonna give it one more flush before I sew it up just for good measure.

Thanks

Tinkerman

Reddog74usa

Yama bond  :up: you can get it at your local Yamaha dealer. Works great and has been around a long time.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Crotch_Rockets_Suck

+1 on the Yamabond.  Although they did look at me a little strange when I walked in wearing a Harley T-shirt. :smilep:
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Don D

Loctite 574 is superior to the OEM HD product

Norton Commando

Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

tinkerman

Right on,

Thanks very much for all the feedback. Have the cases all back together and getting the parts organised for the top end rebuild. Gonna have to send my heads away for some work. Pulled the valves out of them today and the exhaust valves are a little shakey in the guides.

Already spoke to a machine shop who has worked on my Nortons years ago so likley will get them to install new guides, seat the valves and hone the cylinders for me. I will have it all back in a couple of weeks along with a few gaskets I am short. Should be able to clue up the top end and make it look like a bike again.

Thanks again for the replies,

Tink