May 08, 2024, 03:09:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Whats it worth.. (be brutal, gents)

Started by chopper, July 14, 2012, 04:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopper

I listed a 76 FX in swap meet a couple months back, and go no replies. Its a clean, good running Shovel.
I have it listed online for 4500 and have had ONE call ( a no-show at that)  Am I wrong for thinking it'd bring that?
Pretty sure I could bust it up for parts and get it, but hate to do it.
I see Shovel engines going for 2000, titled frames for 1500-2000, and trans fro 500 or so. That still leaves the wheels, tires (new ones) forks, tins, etc...
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

aquaman

The economy is still in the crapper and bikes aren't selling like they used to, but you already know that.  If you don't need to sell it then hold firm on the price and the right buyer will come along.  IMHO, I wouldn't part it out.  Once a bike is gone it's gone and I am fond of original and complete older bikes.  Call me a sentimental fool...
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

Mark222

Well, maybe not brutal.  It yours to do with what you want............

But I would rather see you opt to hold out and find a buyer who would appreciate the old iron.. Once their gone, you can only build replicas.

I am currently struggling with the need to buy a FXR Shovel and kill two birds with a single stone. 

1.    I want a Shovel again and wish I had never let the last one go (1976)

2.    I have a strong desire to have a FXR after letting the last one go (1990)

So, too bad your FX was not an FXR, or we may have a match.

Mark

76shuvlinoff

There's a buyer out there if you are not in a hurry, the greater the hurry the lower the price.
I don't see $4500 as too much but then I am biased.

In the past I have practically given stuff away so I don't have to look at it.... and always regret it later.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

05FLHTC

Like all the replies it's a buyers market...so if ya have to sell it don't expect to get much more then maybe $3500 & that is only of you find a buyer for a shovel.

I check CL pretty often & see the same bikes for sale over & over there just not selling.
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

guido4198

At 4500 you're trying to find someone who wants THAT SPECIFIC bike. That individual will eventually come along if you can be patient.
At 3500 you'd quickly have a buyer who wants it as a starting point for a "custom project".
The successful selling price will be somewhere in between...depending upon how long it takes for that one individual to find you, or for you to reach the "I just want it gone" point.
Good Luck with your sale...!!

hbkeith

Ive had the same problem selling a FX , i think most who are lookin for a shovelhead as a second bike want a chopper a FXR or a FLH,if they are looking for a cheap bike to ride,they can by a  Dyna model for $5000.

Dresser

I think $4500 is a fair price if it's in good shape. I notice that it's an "FX". Maybe it's because it's a kicker. That could be scaring people off.

HarleyHiwayMan

Us who appreciate shovels the most are also the ridders with knees that are going south. A kicker is not as exciting as it was 50 years ago. Suggestion will be to offer a trade for a dependable pickup, then sell it off for the $4500. People like top trade a toy for another.
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

tomcat64

where you list it is important,, if you put it on CL then all you are going to get is people who want to steal it or are willing to trade you an 83 chevette and 2 milk cows forthe bike,, LOL,, if you want to sell, try cycle trader  or chopper exchange,, seems there are more serious M/C buyers on the M/C sites.. you should get over $4k for the bike, you just need to get the right eyes on it!

easyricer

I sold my 83 FXSB for $6000 and my side car for $1800. The sidecar took much longer to sell. Together I never had a single looker.
I've turned down two serious offers of $10000 and up for my 76 FLH in the past 4 years. Like the guys said, if you got time sit on it. Forget that Craigs List even exists, use EBAY, Walnecks and so on.
It is a buyers market, but there is still a market out there for Bicentennial Bikes.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

JamLazyAss

I learned a lesson from a friend that owned a Harley dealership for decades.
A friend of mine couldn't sell a part (years ago) at the local swapmeet, and he had a great selling price.
Human nature being what it is, people became suspicious of the part, and therefore wouldn't buy it.
Our dealer friend said to ask more for it, considerably more.
The part sold later that same day for the high price.

Your problem might be that your price is too low.

Bump it up to say 5500 and see what happens.

Try it. You have nothing to lose.

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

baker

I been kicking myself in the butt since I sold my shovel, maybe put it in the corner of the garage and throw a blanket over it, who knows maybe in a few years you might be glad you kept it :nix:

hd06myway

If it's in good shape $4500 is a bargain, Shovels are going to increase in price IMO once the politicians actually try governing instead of just sitting on their dead asses doing nothing but protesting...and the economy turns around, which isn't going to happen anytime soon no matter what clown we elect or re-elect.  The world is full of TC's as common as any Ford or Chevy, thank God thay are as expensive as they are or every 2 wheel weekend rider would own a Harley... Shovels are beutiful looking motors, having owned one many moons ago, I have a soft spot for them, even if most of my memories were working on them or pushing them...  :embarrassed:  Never give a Harley away, no matter what the economy is like, you'd be degrading their value and prestige, a Harley is stil la sought after piece of art, no $4200-$4500 is as low as I would go...  :beer:

Snuff™

Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

chopper

(still dont have this pic stuff all figured out....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

chopper

Pilgrim

Quote from: guido4198 on July 15, 2012, 03:55:25 AM
At 4500 you're trying to find someone who wants THAT SPECIFIC bike. That individual will eventually come along if you can be patient.
:emoGroan:

Exactly. Two years ago I sold my '84 FXRT to a guy in Fla for $9,000 and he paid to have it shipped from Washington state to Miami.  I'd had it listed at $10k on just my website with a statement that, yes, it's high-priced but if you're the right guy, you'll know it's worth it.

But it took a year to sell.

Pilgrim
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

Ultrashovel

I sold my 1982 FXS Shovelhead for $5,900 in 2007. I had been sick for a couple of years with my leg and wasn't riding it at all. I tried Craigslist for about a month and had one caller who came over and bought it. I was asking $7,000 but had to come down as I had to move it. It had some issues which I disclosed, but I liked the bike. I owned it for 15 years and put about 65,000 miles on it so I got some use out of it.

They are usually sellers around $5-6K. Craigslist will work if you can wait and keep relisting it. I can't stand the fees on eBay anymore so I doubt that I would use eBay for a bike. Also, it involves shipping, which is something I wouldn't want to consider for a motorcycle. Just my thoughts.

Justpassingas

Looking at the pics I don't think $4500 is unreasonable.....I just think only certain people are interested in shovels....If it were me I'd hold out....Remember theres an arse for every seat.....somebody will come along...
For Duty and Humanity

hbkeith

Ive bought and sold alot of bikes from Craigslist, bought a light layover  clean titled 86 FXR  this winter for $1300 ,i would say craigslist works great  :up:$$ ,post it in a big city

PoorUB

Hey Chopper, it my help to know where abouts this bike is located. I am slightly interested, but not enough to go across the country to buy it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chopper